Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Ghost 10 Error (Cannot create recovery

• Please log in to reply

ralphie

ralphie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all,

This is my first real post (I originally posted this in the wrong category - sorry) :tazz:

On Tuesday, I installed Norton Ghost on my PC (Win XP Pro SP2) without any problem. I have a SATA HDD with two partitions (C and D, both are NTFS - 55 GB, and 70 GB). I tried creating a backup job from Norton but it will not work. Below is the specific error message I get. I have Google’d this problem, but no one else seems to have experienced this issue.

Some disclaimers: this is my first time using Ghost. I went to Symantec’s website to read their support site for some assistance – but nothing of interest was there, except for some mention about not being able to write to an NTFS drive (which I think I eliminated as a possible cause if this problem – read below).

Here is the error:

-Error EC8F17B7: Cannot create recovery points for job: Recovery point of C:\.
--Errors exist.
---VSS object not found.
----Error E7B70001: Win32/Win64 API DeviceIoControl(IOCTL_SNAP_VOLUME_EX) failed.
-----Error EBAB03F1: The requested resource is in use.

This may help in diagnosing the problem better: while Ghost is performing the backup job, it displays status reports. The last status report it displays before dying is “Analyzing the storage management stack: enumerating disk groups”

Here is what I have tried to do to fix this issue:

1. Reinstalled Norton Ghost (three times)
2. Downloaded a new image of Norton Ghost from Symantec's site and reinstalled Ghost
3. Changed the destination folder from D to a local DVD+RW, a local CD RW, a network drive (NTFS), and finally another local hard-drive (that I mounted today just for this). This local hard-drive is a PATA Maxtor 40 GB (FAT32 – I wanted to eliminate the possibility that the problem had something to do with file system formats).

In all instances, I receive the exact same error. Sometimes it takes Norton 12 seconds to come back with this error message, sometimes it takes it 50 seconds, but invariably it fails.

As an alternative to creating a backup of my C drive, I decide I would just copy my C drive to the newly mounted E drive (as FAT32 and as NTFS) using Norton’s “Copy Hard Drive” feature. But that did not work either; I get the following error:

-Error EC8F17B3: Cannot complete copying of Namibia (C:\) drive.

I have submitted a tech-support request with Symantec, but from what I hear, I shouldn’t be optimistic about their supportiveness.

For those interested and willing to help, thank you in advance. Really any assistance at this time would be of great help.

Thanks.

Advertisements

ralphie

ralphie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This post was originally in the wrong category (Hardware...)

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks.

Edited by ralphie, 20 October 2005 - 05:07 PM.

Danny Clarke

Danny Clarke

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi Ralphie:

You are not alone, I have precisely the same problem and error message set.
Symantec online help is useless and so is their call centre (based in India) - they have not heard of the problem and can offer no advice.

I am really surprised that a company the size of Symantec cannot offer a better level of support.
I only purchased this software 2 days ago and have yet to gain any benefit from it.

If you hear of a fix or make any progress, please let me know [email protected]

Regards,

Dan.