Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drives

• Please log in to reply

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
If I get a new hard drive. How do I install Windows 95 with a Windows 95 CD?

Advertisements

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
you'll need a boot disk so you can run fdisk and format the hard drive before you can install windows on a new hard drive.
1. put in a windows 95 boot disk boot in your floppy drive always pick to start with cd rom support
2. At a:/fdisk (hit enter on keyboard)
3. when fdisk is done reboot pc
4.At a:/format c (hit enter on keyboard)
5. shut down pc after format is done
6.restart pc make sure to start with cdrom support (look to see what drive letter your cdrom is.)
7. At a:/cdrom drive letter (hit enter on keyboard)
8.At that drive letter:/ setup (hit enter on keyboard)
Windows 95 should start to install

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
Do you mean I have to have a floppy drive to install Windows 95 on a new hard drive? I don't have a floppy drive or bay.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome nathanhuth! <_<

Do you want a fresh install of Windows 95, or do you want to keep the contents of your existing drive?

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
I want a clean install of Windows 95 with my existing drive.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hmmm, popular request today. Check out http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
which programs do i got to to make a format cd-rom disk and a windows 95 startup cd-rom disk?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
This File should do it...

The 911 CD Builder v2.0
Description: The 911 Rescue CD is an integrated CD-ROM that contains many diagnostics and repairing tools all easily accessed through the 911 Menu, it allows the access to the CDROM drives, the network shares, or both of them at the same time, it also includes the Microsoft Windows 2000/xp Professional Setup files, the Microsoft Windows 98*admin Setup files. The 911 Rescue Software collection facilitates in the diagnosing and fixing the software and hardware problems, scan the system for viruses, manage new and existing partitions using commerial tools and/or the 911 Auto Partitioner, perform system checkup to insure the reliability of various hardware and software components or identify the malfunctioning part in the system, create bootable CDs containing a complete backup of the system partitions, and much much more ... The Network Access Software provides access to Microsoft based networks both the peer-to-peer and the domain based, with the ability to access the (Ethernet and Token Ring) networks employing the TCP/IP, NetBEUI or NW Link protocols using a simple user interface for changing the various settings in the networking process as IP addresses, the usage of the DHCP protocol and mapping network shares to drive letters. The Microsoft Windows 2000/xp Professional Setup files provides the ability to setup the latest Operating System with the ability to slipstream the service packs and hotfixes into the original setup files. The Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition Setup files gives a very easy way to partition, format and setup the Windows 98*admin without even the need to enter the product key.
Version: 2.04 Filesize: 2.92 MB

Edit: With so many computers shipping without floppy drives anymore (Dell), I'm really surprised there's not a wealth of Windows boot cd's (images) available online, like there are boot disks (see bootdisk.com). I'll have to see if there's not some legal reason why. If not, I'll probably create and host some Win95/98 boot CD's.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
ok i installed the program what do I need to do now?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Well, there aren't any instructions for it. If you've run it and can't figure it out, just let me keep looking for a Windows 95 boot image that you can just download and burn to a CD using Roxio. <_<

P.S. Since you're installing Windows 95 I have to ask. Are you sure your computer will boot from a CD? Enter the BIOS and make sure you have a "Boot from CD" option.

Advertisements

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
i can't use 911 cd builder, it says something about dos files not found, very frustrating. can you please help?

what do you mean a boot image?

Edited by nathanhuth, 13 November 2003 - 06:16 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You need to have your Windows 95 CD in your drive and use "browse" to tell 911 cd builder where its at? Again, is your computer even able to boot from a CD?

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts

yes it can boot to a cd but not a floppy. problem, it's only for windows 98 and up.

I haven't tried it for Windows 95, but I don't know why it wouldn't work.

Edited by admin, 13 November 2003 - 11:00 PM.

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
nathanhuth
will the system boot up at all if you just turn it on ? I'm asking you this because if we can get into your bios we can get it to boot off the cd rom first . what is the computer your doing the work on? model and make.
<_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
The system will boot up and then it goes to the Windows XP setup. The 911 CD Builder only works with Windows 98 and up, it shows that on the program. It CAN boot to a CD, but what does that matter I can't make the 911 cd anyway.

Edited by nathanhuth, 15 November 2003 - 09:42 PM.