Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Connection from PC not working - help please

• Please log in to reply

KMT

KMT

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,

I have just bought a new Belkin ASDL Modem & 125g Wireless Router (model number F5D7633uk4A), to replace my old Linksys wireless router. I have a Dell laptop and a PC, the laptop was very easy to set up for the internet while the PC seems to be having problems connecting to the router. I have installed a Wireless LAN 108Mbps PCI Card by Intellinet not to long ago, this worked perfectly with the Linksys router but I just can't seem to get it connected to the Belkin.
:tazz:
I tried to automatically detect the IP and DNS addresses on the TCP/IP properties, but the connection showed that it had limited or no connectivity. I entered the old IP addresses I used for the Linksys router and the DNS server address I obtained from the Belkin router through its setup in the laptop. I then repaired the connection, its IP address renewal was successful but I had a problem with the ''clearing ARC cache''. I have no idea what this means as I am just a basic computer user.
I also tried connecting the PC to the router through a cable but it doesn't seem to be working at all.
I hope that I have provided sufficient information and that I will hear from you guys soon!
:)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi KMT!

Are you using the windows XP built-in wireless connection or did you install the software that came with the wireless card?

Fenor

KMT

KMT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hey :tazz:

I had to buy the wireless card seperately and install its own software that came with it.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Shouldn't need to install the software that came with it only the drivers and that way you would be able to use XP's Built in Wireless connection manager to connect to the wireless connection very easily. From my experience I have seen that the software that comes with wireless cards causes more problems with XP then it solves. The software is mainly for older OS's without this support. When you install the software, you should be given the option to install only the drivers, but if you are not, then you can alway just allow the new hardware wizard to search the CD for drivers for the wireless card and that way you won't have to use the software that came with the card.

Fenor

KMT

KMT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh sorry I think I wrote something wrong in the previous message, it does use Windons XP for the connection. Just the drivers were installed, I think the main problem is the ARC cache.

:tazz:

KMT

KMT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Again I made a mistake it is ARP cache not ARC cache, when I click on repair wireless network connection the error messages comes up:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action action cannot be completed:
Clearing ARP cache

For assistance, please contact the person who manages your network.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Download Winsock Fix for xp. Run it and then try and do a repair on your network connection.

Fenor

peterv

peterv

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having a similar problem My machine used to be running Windows 2000 SP4 with the same wireless card and (I presume) the same drivers (same machine, just updated the OS. Did have to reinstall the drivers I think). My connection just goes away sporadically forcing me to use the "repair" option. I have a neighbor who is piggy backing off my router with the same Belkin card, but running Windows 2000 and he has had no complaints. I've tried letting the Belkin utility handle the connection and letting Windows handle it. Same net effect (although when I let the Belkin utility handle the connection I have startup problems related to the timing of the Belkin utility being loaded....another issue for another time).

This is a computer that I leave on all the time and connected so I can get to it from outside so it's very frustrating when it "goes away" while I'm not home.

I have not yet implemented wireless security yet (not a good thing, I know) because I have an access issue with my neighbor and he's paying for half the internet service so I'm reluctant to just knock him off (sweet deal, eh?).

Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.

Peter

joemac67

joemac67

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Clean the the ARP cache from a command box.

START, RUN, type CMD

arp -a (displays arp cache)
arp -d (deletes cache)
arp -a (display again should now be empty)

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew (renews ip address)

Try it may at least clean the ARP cache.

Cheers :tazz: