Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Finding the best balance between graphics quality and performance in g

• Please log in to reply

mycompsux

mycompsux

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Recently, I went through an Optimize Windows XP guide to get the most out of my computer. I have read that "Auto-Detect" functions in games are a little too conservative on their measuring of a system's capabilities. Is there an "Optimize Windows XP" guide for games? A guide to best balance out performance and graphics? What are some of your techniques?

Edited by mycompsux, 20 October 2005 - 07:29 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
check out this: http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=64386

optomizing xp should work for everything, not just games or apps.

mycompsux

mycompsux

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks, i'll give it a try.

mycompsux

mycompsux

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks, i'll give it a try.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
To get what the best performance form a game is really trial and error and personal preference. Some people are FPS mad they must have high FPS even if the game wont look very good and the fps is far beyond what the human eye can detect(but their eye can detect the difference of course). You also get the opposite pretty effects mad, these people will have games set so high that they FPS far to low to make the game playable but they just like there pretty efects and dont care(but they can of course totally play the game at low fps).

Then you have normal folks who know what their PCs can handle, i usually sit in the middle i like my effects and cool things but i like a decent FPS 30-50 is my range ill quite happily play away with 35 FPS which some people think unplayable but since your eye cant physically see more than 25FPS it doesnt make much difference, and i dont mind a tiny bit of lag just after loading a huge level with loads of bad guys as long as it goes away.

Once windows is optimised all what you have to do is get the games set up properly, my default set up for a game is 1280*1024 full everything and 4x to 6x AA and full AF. This has worked for every game ive got except Fable for some reason where uber shadows were disabled but my pals 6800ultra had em disabled as well so im guesiing it was for some sort of new card feature.I just played Quake 4 on full and it only lagged once or twice in very dark rooms with lots of bad guys and only just when i entered it so that was ok for me.
Once i have the game set up like that i play it, then i gradually lower or increase the settings as appropriate starting with AA then some of the more marginal effects.
If neccesary you can force DX7 or DX8 mode and older cards can play that pretty well.