Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Boxes - System32

• Please log in to reply

Murakami

Murakami

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,
um, black boxes w/ cursors randomly blinking all over it keep popping up - sometimes several over a short period of time. This happens w/ or w/o internet connection. The black box heading says "C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINCTR~1.EXE. I scanned it with Norton and with SpyBot S&D. Norton had me delete something else under system32 - a dll. file, but it was there again after a reboot. Furthermore, Norton Antivirus is now telling me that it was unable to scan computer for infections because some Norton components are missing. SpyBot, on the otherhand, fixed what problems it found, yet, once again, the black boxes continue. Also, sometimes the computer locks up, causing me to manually shut it down. I tried a system recovery, but that didn't work. Also, whatever it is that keeps doing this to my laptop, it has also hijacked my explorer browser, initially showing "C:\WINDOWS\system32\WINCTR~1.EXE in the browser box, before redirecting me to a site of their choosing (whoever "they" may be). Please HELP! This is all very frustrating! I've attached the Spybot report and I can't wait to do away with this... THING!

Attached Files

Advertisements