Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Lost operating system

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Please help me,
Here is the situation i have got my self into, took home my bosses computer . he wanted to know if i could get some pics off of his computer and burn them to disk.well i took his hard drive out of his computer and placed it in mine and did my thing and got the disk burnt. job was successful or so i thought. well went to put his hard drive back in and whammo it cant read any operating system when i put it back in his computer. thought than i would try and place it back in mine and see if i put it in wrong well now it says that according to my ( my computer settings )COMPUTER that the disk needs to be formatted. well idid get it back into his case and get in dos and find out there is data on the hard drive but i stil get a no operating system found press any button to retry error statement. it is in a compaq presario(please no flush sounds).his operating system was xp professional withit installed as fat 32.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

First, make sure the jumper on the HDD is set to Master.

Try booting to Safe Mode (tap the F8 key during bootup) select "Safe Mode" and press "Enter". If that doesn't work, restart again tappng F8 and select "Last known good configuration" and press "Enter".

If neither of those options work, please post back.