Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Files have been deleted...

• Please log in to reply

_Endless_

_Endless_

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
As this is my first post, I apologize if this is in the wrong place.

Ok, here I go... I've had problems with my computer for the past week now. Everytime I used McAfee Virus Scan, about 30 files were infected by malware.u(?) These files couldn't get cleaned, so I quarantined them, then deleted. When I scanned again the next day, these same files came up, so once again I quarantined and deleted. I was keep doing this for a while, but the files never got permantely deleted. So, the next thing I did was try and look up 'malware.u' and I found this forum and followed the steps to get rid of malware for good. I did the steps yesterday and scanned with McAfee again, and finally the files were delted! Yay!

.......however! I switched my computer on earlier and found that a lot of my files have been deleted, for example My Documents, My Pictures, My Music, work on Microsoft Works (which is also deleted), etc. BUT a lot of programs are still on. Computer is also very slow and takes a long time to load, normally takes about one minute to load, but now it is a lot more. Also, I used to be able to click once when I want to open a document, now I have to do this twice. It's not that big a deal, but I was able to click once yesterday. :tazz:

Has this happened because of the steps I took to get rid of the malware trojans? Because when I swicted my computer off last night, everything was fine.

I hope you can help me. Thank you! :)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could try system restore, although this would also re-instate the deleted files to quarantine, if system restore works then

Please go here:Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, please ask for advice in the Malware Forum

If you are unable to improve things with system restore:

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

When it has loaded to the desktop, click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change, the next thing to do would be a repair install, this will leave data and settings intact

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

Beyond this it is likely to be a hardware fault

The next part is optional

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

It is likely the files are part of system restore anyway, after you have run it, turn system restore off, reboot the PC, check the PC with you anti virus programme and if all clear, turn system restore on, set a restore point

Open My Documents, click tools then folder options then view to change the click to single, click apply