Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless thief

• Please log in to reply

dumbgirl

dumbgirl

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I finally got my new broadband connection with a wireless router between my roomie and I. We have a third room mate who decided that he didn't want broadband but he seems to be using it. And abusing it too cuz the connection goes mad slow whenever he's in, it's crazy. He must be downloading constantly. He denies it though. There might be a 4th person from next door or something also using it cuz the 4 lights are on on it. Anyone know how to block other people from accessing it?

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
Hey dumbgirl,

What is the make and model of your wireless router?
You want to make sure you have the latest firmware/drivers for your router.

Next, read the following article and follow the instructions.

Let me know how you make out :tazz:

Edited by brianmil0923, 21 October 2005 - 12:58 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Thats a nice General Security Info link brianmil0923 - I think I will steal it from you, for some of my posts... when I dont feel like typing anymore :tazz:

Mandrake_Argus

Mandrake_Argus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I do suggest that you place will have MAC address filtering activated in your router. make sure that all mac addresses of the wired and wireless computer that you want to be a part of your network be placed into the router.

dumbgirl

dumbgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
My router is a belkin one. Have to wait now till my room mate comes to do the network security thing cuz the router's in his room. Will let you know how it goes. Thanx you guys!

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Uh,........ why is the router in the roomies room? It's yours, correct?

I'd fix that first..............

dumbgirl

dumbgirl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have 2 room mates. One wants broadband, the other doesn't. So me and the other dude are sharing. I have a wireless laptop, he doesn't so the best way I thought to share was to put the router in his room. Makes sense to me!

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
First of all the link to the "article" posted by brianmil0923 says it all.

Doesn't matter where the router is. You can keep it in your room and your roomate can use a long ethernet cable and take the connection from your room.
Thats besides the point. You don't have to anything physically with the router. All you need to do is login in to the router config page. (usually 192.168.0.1) if it isn't that it is usually your subnet.

Every nic (ethernet adapter/network interface card) has a specific MAC address. Now you can set your router such that only specific (i.e. you and your roomie) MAC addresses can access it.

Also enable WEP and use a password (keep the password between you and your roomie).

If you get onto your router anytime and find any MAC address connected to it that is not yours or your roomates, instantly add those MAC addresses to a block/deny/blacklist list of the router.

cheers

not_napster.

- These p2p/torrent using roomates can be one real pain.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
That's why if she's having a problem w/roomate hogging bandwidth, she should have sole access to the router, so when she makes those router settings, they won't be "accidentally reset" by the upset roomie that is hogging the bandwidth when they find out you've cut into their downloading abilities. But that's jmo................

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
lol my [bleep] apt.mates used to just come into my room and reset the [bleep] router. Used to always get a "connection timed out" when I used to try to browse any website, i.e. when my roomies used to have the [bleep] p2ps running. *sigh*

not_napster :tazz: