Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing Ram from Radeon 9600 pro

• Please log in to reply

Needtehhelp1234

Needtehhelp1234

• Pip
  • 5 posts
System: Microsoft Windows Xp Pro
Service pack 2
pent 4
1.60ghz
it says i have 256 ram but i know i have 512 ram
my graphic card is radeon 9600 pro it has 256 ram

well as far as i know i had 512 ram for some time the past few weeks it been missing and my ram is back down to 256mb my question is.

How would i go in correcting this problem is there a way to turn it back on in dos or what should i do anyone have this problem before?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Are you refering to your system ram or video card ram?
If its system ram, when you first power the machine on, you should see the memory count pop up in the top left corner of the screen, just before the bios detects the hard drives etc. Does this show 256MB or 512MB of ram?

Needtehhelp1234

Needtehhelp1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
mainly my graphic card use to give me 256mb of ram and my ram stick 256mb ram so i had a total of 512mb of ram but this past month i only seem to have 256 ram again i use to have 512mb ram when i went to system properties before i had 512 ram now its only 256 ram could it be the ram stick or what ever its called on my graphic card is turned off ....??

As for the bios screen it says 256
i was looking this morning my guess is somehow just the ram on the graphic card is dead or just turned off if your comfused
I have 1 Ram stick 256mb
the other 256mb of ram was from my Radeon 9600 pro

Any help i would be greatful thanks in advance

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For system ram, click start, right click my computer then properties, at the bottom of the page you will see how much installed RAM you have, which will be accurate

The RAM for the ATI card is different, it will reduce the call on system memory for certain things but cannot be regarded as system memory

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

mainly my graphic card use to give me 256mb of ram and my ram stick 256mb ram so i had a total of 512mb

Video Card memory is not like normal memory, and as such it will not show up under the GENERAL tab when you right click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES. It will show up as 256MB which it is. During boot up, the BIOS will also only detect your ram as 256MB.

Fenor

Needtehhelp1234

Needtehhelp1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks for the replys