Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2000 OEM re-installion CD

• Please log in to reply

sammgo

sammgo

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
My friend (really) has one of these re-installation disks for win 2000. She is trying to install this as her OS. When she formatted, there is a NTSF drive and an FAT32 drive (8mb) XP was previously installed on the NTSF drive.

Could someone please give some insight on formatting these drive(s) and the re-installation process as well. ps the serial # isn't working either

thanks

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi sammgo!

What you want her to do is when she gets to the point in the windows 2000 setup process that shows the partitions, have her delete both the partitions that are showing (highlight the partition, hit D and then L and Enter), and then create a new partition by hitting C and then Enter on the next screens. Then once she is back to the screen that shows the newly created partition, hit Enter and then format it using NTFS. Then just follow along with the instructions on the screen to install Windows 2000.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

ps the serial # isn't working either

If the product key for windows 2000 isn't working then 1) you don't have a valid key, or 2) you don't have a product key that works with that version of windows 2000.

What type of computer does she have, make and model, or is it a prebuilt?

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 21 October 2005 - 05:47 PM.

sammgo

sammgo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for the help
We did format both drives, but did not create a new one.

After she decided just to the 98 that she had (since the serial is wrong for 2000), now it goes throught the 98 start-up window when she inserts that CD, then back to command promt and asks her to enter her 2000 disk again. Now i'm confused, I am not there with her so i'm just going off what she'll telling me the screens are saying. I know nothing of this NTFS thing, but I'm assuming it was created by XP which was previosly installed on the computer

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Windows 98 won't recognize an NTFS formatted hard drive. What she'll need to do is put the Windows 98 CD in the drive, then when she gets the option to START SETUP FROM CD, START COMPUTER W/ CD-ROM SUPPORT or START COMPUTER W/O CD-ROM SUPPORT, have her choose START COMPUTER W/ CD-ROM SUPPORT.

Once she is at the command prompt, she is going to want to change the directory she is in to teh CD drive. It will say at the top of the screen what driver letter the cd rom is, then she just has to type D: or whatever the letter may be, and hit ENTER. Then have to type format c:. If that doesn't work, have her type fdisk at the same command prompt.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If she has to use FDISK, then following this site for guidelines and a walkthrough on how to use it and set up the hard drive to have windows 98 installed on it.

Fenor

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

A regular Fdisk is NOT going to work if the drive was formatted to NTFS.. You are going to have to use the "Remove all non-dos partitions" first.. That is also an option through fdisk..

Now the link Fenor gave you will do the trick!!

Murray