Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access is denied?!?!

• Please log in to reply

phoenix2300

phoenix2300

• Pip
  • 2 posts
<_< Ok, so here's the deal. My computer is connected to the network at the college I attend. I have already had to install Windows XP once before because my computer crashed and I could not even boot it up. It seemed to be fully repaired after reinstalling Windows XP, but now for some reason when I sign into my Hamilton account in the login screen, and I get to my computer, if I try to make any changes at all in the settings, it won't let me and this prevents me from fixing other small problems I'm now having. It tells me "access is denied" whenever I try to make any changes and I have no clue how to fix this. It is my computer and I should be able to control the settings, but it tells me I am not an administrator or I do not have the necessary priveledges. This is extremely frustratiing especially when I try to change things in the control panel or I try downloading certain files on the internet. If you have any idea how to fix this or any suggestions at all it would be an incredible help! Thank you!
Maddy

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
It sounds as though you're logging on with a limited account. An adminstrator account is needed to make the changes you want. If you click Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts, you can view the status of your, and any other accounts on that computer. IF you don't see any computer administrator accounts, you'll need to reboot in safe mode, select the Adminstrator account, and change the permissions for your log on.

phoenix2300

phoenix2300

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
how do I reboot in safe mode?
Thank you!
Maddy <_<

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Restart your computer, begin tapping the F8 key. Select safe mode from the menu. <_<