Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

o2mcgovemm

o2mcgovemm

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi, I want to uprgrade to Window XP, and I've found this site which has it at a really low price (I'm a student who can't afford the Student thing). The only problem is it says it's Volume licensing. :tazz: However, it allows you to buy just one copy. Would I be able to get one copy and install it fine?

The website: http://www.europc.co...ProductID=19173

Thanks in advance
o2mcgovemm

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

What are your system specs right now?? Even though Microsoft says all you need is a 233 processor and 64 megs of ram, you might as well forget about XP with that..

You will need at least a 500mHz processor and a minimum of 256 megs of ram (512 preferred)..

Murray

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I'm not saying that site is breaking the law, but they appear to be trying to circumvent it. It wouldn't surprise me if the "licensed XPs" they are selling would not pass Windows Validation Testing, which makes them worth less than the purchase price listed.

Johanna

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

The volume licensing program is designed for corporate, government, and academic customers with 250 or more desktops.
Further Info: http://www.microsoft.../default.mspx... Media
License Type Media Only Not For End User Use!

I'm not sure if it's legal to buy this for only one computer, and I also don't know if it would pass validation, like Johanna said.