Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Windows XP...

• Please log in to reply

Kevin2k

Kevin2k

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello.

I've recently been testing out one of my old computers (I'm currently using it). But, I forgot that this computer has TONS of viruses and spyware and junk on it. The viruses messed my system up so badly that I cannot even open some simple applications, such as Paint. My first instinct was to reformat my computer. But, when I originally purchased this computer, I was never given the recover CDs.

So my question to you is:
Is there a way to reformat my computer without having my Windows XP CD? :)

I'd be extremely grateful if someone could help me. :tazz:

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Kevin2k! Welcome to G2G!

What is the make and model of your computer? Did XP come installed on it when you purchased it? You may be able to order recovery cd's from your computer's manufacturer.

Fenor

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

There is a way but without another operating system disk, you won't be able to install anything back on it!!

Murray

Kevin2k

Kevin2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks Fenor. I'm currently running a Compaq 5000. Yes, Windows XP did come installed when I purchased my computer.

But, I was trying to get around purchasing the recovery cd. I was hoping there was some sort of manuel way to do it without purchasing anything.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
When you boot your computer, try hitting F10 or F12 about once a second immediately after you turn it on, and see if it doesn't start the recovery program built-in to your computer. Worth a shot

Fenor

Kevin2k

Kevin2k

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks fender. I'll keep checking around other sites and hopefully something could come up.

PS, I'll try your suggestion next time I reboot :tazz: