Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Firewall Firewall Firewall

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi people, I guess this is a really old topic - which Firewall should I get and do I really need one?
I'm running NOD32 and Ad-Watch at all times and the computer seems fine. But lots of people say I have to get a firewall since I'm on broadband. I've looked at quite a few firewall applications but still not sure which one I should get. Oh well, here's what I want and see if anyone could give me a bit of suggestion:

I DO want a firewall that stops all the unnecessary/harmful OUTGOING activities (does Ad-Watch or NOD32 actually do this?)

-Price is not a concern-
My ideal firewall:
1. Use little resource (like NOD32 compared to Norton)
2. Easy to configure
3. Not popping up all the time
4. At last but not at least, good looking

Cheers

Edited by chinofeliz, 22 October 2005 - 12:19 AM.

Advertisements

Japstar

Japstar

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
I've got Mcafee Security center and it's pretty good. It notifies me whenever an application tries to use the internet and will only notify me when that happens or when you have new updates ready to be downloaded or installed.

It comes with wizards that help you configure it to your prefernces, but you can go more advanced if you know what your doing.

It has around 10 processe running but the firewall version only would have less.

It cost around $150 and my personal opinion is that it's good and probably better than Norton (I had it before).

Just read a few reviews about the different firewalls in pc mags and it will probably help you choose.

Good luck choosing the firewall.

Japstar :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look at free firewalls here: Firewalls

Zone alarm is a popular choice

Turn the XP Firewall off after you install a third party one

You should not see much of a properly configured firewall, (cost).

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Thanx guys for the replies :tazz: I'll have a look at Outpost first it's tiny :)