Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Printer Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi all,

I recently purchased a Lexmark Z611 printer from Wal-Mart. Previously, I had a Lexmark Z515 printer, I believe, but it ran out of ink and they discontinued ink cartridges for this model, so I was left buying a new printer. The next best thing they had to a Z515 was the Z611, so I took that home. I plugged it in, inserted the USB cable and I got the display from Windows that it had "detected new hardware" as usual. Everything ws fine. The instructions for the printer said to hit "cancel" which I did, and instead to insert their install disc. I did and began installing, but here's the problem. I forgot to first uninstall the Z515 model that was still on my computer. I think this caused a conflict, so I had to stop midway through installation. I then uninstalled the Z515 model. Then, I tried installing the new Z611 printer again, but I have not been able to make it work like it did that first time. My CD-Rom drive reads the install disc, but I am not getting that message from Windows saying, "detected new hardware." I think that step is vital, because it is almost as it is not even reading anything from the USB port to the printer. Furthermore, when the install disc prompts me to install all it does is copies some files to my Windows folder. It fails to automatically go to the setup screen like it is supposed to do. I had to manually do that via the "add printer" fucnction under start--settings. When I finally did manually install the printer, it fails to print. When I go to print a document, it automatically asks me to print to file, which is not normal. Even if I do save the print job under a file name it gives me an error message. I think my problem is that I stopped the install midway and that is why it is not reading any new hardware being detected, because the hardware was already detected that first time I tried to install it - but didn't install all the way because I had not uninstalled my old printer. Anyways, I am left completely frustrated and out of ideas. I called the Lexmark help line and they thought my USB port was bad and suggested I contact a computer company. I know this is not the case, because all my other USB ports are functioning and the very same USB port that I am trying to install this printer on is the same one that I was using for my old printer and never gave me any problems.

ANY help at all would be greatly appreciated. Is there any way I can get my computer to detect the printer again? I think once it does that, I can finally install my printer again successfully.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Uninstall the printer software for any printers you find in printers and faxes then remove the USB lead for the printer

Use device manager to uninstall any printers you have, (assuming you only need the new one).

Get the trial of Tune Up 2006 here

Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run disc clean up then registry clean up, then click optimize to run reg defrag, which needs a reboot

Check whether the USB lead for the printer needs to be in before, during or after the printer software is installed

Re-install the printer

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Sorry, Keith. I did as you said but the USB port still won't read the USB lead to my printer. I'm still not getting an "Add New Hardware Wizard" window which should pop up.

Any other suggestions?

-Kevin

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do any USB devices work

prettyvacant

prettyvacant

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Yes. My mouse and my webcam are both set up to the first and third USB ports. I tried installing my printer at both the second and third ports to no avail. And I know the printer is good because it was able to set up on my dad's computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I looked for drivers at lexmark and they only have a Z612 and they do not have drivers in english for 98

asharex

asharex

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dunno if I'm allowed, but I had a similar problem with my Lexmark X1185 which just stopped working. When I uninstalled then reinstalled (or TRIED to reinstall) I kept getting a message saying that the Remote Print Spooler thingo wasn't 'started', although I kept switching it on.

I followed the instructions at http://members.shaw....tm#_Toc88804922 and - after trying to shortcut things, which never works - when I eventually added in the bit about Lexmark printers at the end (typing a line into the command prompt) it worked a treat! I did not need to have the CD in, it installed by itself. I had downloaded the drivers earlier, but you may be able to use your CD. I finally have my printer up and running again after pulling my hair out for two weeks.

If nothing else, it may help you manually uninstall everything for a clean reinstallation.

Hope this helps :tazz:

Michelle

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hello Michelle

Thank You for posting the link

Welcome to Geeks To Go

Keith