Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My site on gaming and emulation

• Please log in to reply

The Infinite

The Infinite

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I'm a new member here, and this place seems really big and neat...
I just wanted to sort of introduce myself and talk about my site at the same time. So here goes -

I'm really into gaming and emulation (always have been), I play the guitar (been playing for 8 years now), I love listening to music... I can't think of anything else to add. Oh, yeah, I'm a teenager (lemme get that straight lol)

I started a website quite recently (actually I started it a while back and updated it only recently). It's called EmUniverse. It was made on ProBoards, but I've shortened the link. It has only a few members right now, so I would appreciate new members from here as well. It's dedicated to gaming and emulation. There's loads of stuff available for free download by members, and there's an online community under construction.

http://emuniverse.true.ws

Please visit the site, and tell me what you think. If you have any suggestions or complaints(?), then you can use the Guest Book in the "General" category. Or else, you could always reply to this post.
Also, please understand that I have tons more stuff to offer for download, but the free file host that I use deletes un-downloaded files after 30 days (of inactivity). So there's no point in me uploading everything and everything getting expired...lol. So please join up if you're interested, and go ahead, download all you like! You see, the more members the site has, the less the chances of expiry of the files.

That's about it, thank you.

Advertisements

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
I have a suggestion for your site, get a better header. The one you have right now is very low-quality, and has this pixelated look (especially images on the right). Also, it's a little bit too dark, maybe try a lighter blue for the borders?

Other than that, it seems like a really nice forum. If I was into gaming, I would join, but I'm not...

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Site in general is far too dark.

Blue text on black = headache.

The Infinite

The Infinite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
By a better header, you were referring to the banner image, right? Okay, I'll see if I can do something about that. And about the dark colors and everything, it's actually part of a template (there are some rules that say that you can't modify someone else's template for your own purposes). However, I could change the template or make my own one by fiddling around with the colors a bit.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, you're far too kind!

The Infinite

The Infinite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I'll prolly take care of them within a week or so...

Is there any other idea or suggestion for my site? Anyone?

Any comments and stuff would help as well.

The Infinite

The Infinite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
For all those people who didn't like the blue template, I've changed it, I think you'll find it's a lot clearer now. I'm still modifying it, gotta put up the new banner.
Please tell me what you think about the new look. :tazz:

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
It looks a lot better now. Although, I have to say, if you're going to use a template, I'm not really saying your layout is a lot better, I'm saying someone else's layout is a lot better.

The least you can do is have your own header/banner, as far as I can tell, that one is included in the template. And there's no logo or title, that's just not logical.

Also I don't see why your login is all the way on the bottom?

And last but not least, I really like the flashing messages under news. I'm not sure how it rates on practicality, but aesthetically it's great. And I think you can afford to have it, its not like this thing is going to be announcing major news, you have the announcement forum for that.

The Infinite

The Infinite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I said that I was putting up the banner, you must have seen it without. I dunno what to put in it, actually. Could you please give me some ideas or something? I've put up one for the present. It would help if you could suggest what to put on it. Thanks for your help so far. Oh, and the login isn't at the bottom only.

Edited by The Infinite, 24 October 2005 - 11:19 PM.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Oh I'm sorry :tazz: I missed that part about the banner.

My suggestions, well, it's a forum for gaming, so put something gaming related, maybe like a xbox faded out underneath the text, and add some effects? And create a logo, that's very important too.

And for the log in thing, sorry, bad wording. What I meant was, I know there's a button on the top for loggin in, but it would be better if the form itself was up top.

Hmm, something else I just discovered, sometimes in firefox, the layout loads funny. The tables are screwed up in different places at different times, the two that I saw was close to bottom of the header and the affiliate bar.

The Infinite

The Infinite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I dunno, for different browsers, you get different results, from what I've seen. I used to use IE 6, but now I use Opera more (it's tabbed and it's faster, to say the least). I do have a logo (a new one that matches the template), but I put it up, like a minute back, so maybe you didn't see it. It moves in the affiliates table at the bottom. About the login box, as far as I know, all ProBoards sites have the box at the bottom, but I'll do some research and see if there isn't any code to bring it to the top. I never thought about that, thanks for bringing it up.
As for the header, I've put up one that says the name of the site, and login and register (plus free roms n emulators). I know it looks a bit plain, but I couldn't find anything that went well (as in the colors matching) with the template banner. I would have made my own banner, but I don't think it would look very good (in fact, it would look weird) with the colors and template. I'll try some more and see if I can't come up with a good banner. Do you have a website, lil cat luver? And btw, do you really like cats? lol

Advertisements

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
OK, the thing that's in the affiliate table isn't exactly a logo. It's a button. Logos are not supposed to move, think McDonalds and its logo is just a big M.

If you were to make your own banner, what program would you use?

I don't have any sort of network sites, but have my personal site, which can be found on my profile.

And btw, do you really like cats?

Is it not clear :tazz:

Edited by lil_cat_luver, 25 October 2005 - 08:07 PM.

The Infinite

The Infinite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
About the cat thingy, many people say they like cats, but don't really,.... or do they?
Whatever. I like all animals, cats or not lol.

Yeah, button, logo whatever, same thing anyway. Did you like the new one? As for the banner on the top, i'll see...
I use Photo Pos Pro to modify images (30-day trial lol).

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Buttons and logos are completely different things.

I've never heard of photo pos pro, but you should download photoshop, there's a free 30day trial also, but I can almost guarantee it'll be more powerful than what you're using. There are a lot of photoshop tutorials on http://www.good-tutorials.com, I think it would help you in creating the banner.

The Infinite

The Infinite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I can download the full version, forget the 30-day trial! lol
But the file size is too much, 320-something MB, and I can only DL about 200 MB a day (my net connection rules, doesn't it?).
Maybe I'll get my friend to DL it, and get him to write the file on a CD...
Thanks for your suggestion.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
Hmm..I don't think you can download the full version for free, you have to buy it, and it's quite expensive..probably around $600. But if you can afford that, go ahead and buy it, it's a really great software :tazz: