Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

kenleeliew

kenleeliew

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi everyone! I have just gotten for myself a 3.5 inch external hard drive. However, before using it, I would like to clear some of my doubts and enquiries. Ok, the regular computer shuts down with the proper procedure to avoid damage to the hard drive while it is still running. However, does this apply to an external drive? Can I just turn off the power switch on the drive (yes, it uses external power source) after using it? Moreover, the manufacturer advises against partitioning the drive into seperate sections. I'm therefore puzzled. Please enlighten. Thank you.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
HI. I have 4 such devices I put together, connecting to the computer by USB2 or Firewire. I have had no problem with any of them. I just make sure that I have the cable connected to the PC before I power up the external drive. When I shut them down, I power off the external drive first. Depending on what I am doing, I may leave the USB2 or Firewire cable connected. I always power them off first, before I shut down the PC.