Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building a pc

• Please log in to reply

M4d$k1llz

M4d$k1llz

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Hey im looking to buy a new pc. However my dad says i should build it, because then im buying the things i want to the exact spec i want, and not getting the useless things included (a modem etc..) But i need to know a few things, first is this all i will need to buy:: ??

Hard disk -
Processor -
Motherboard -
Graphics card -
Memory (Ram) -
Monitor -
Mouse -
Keyboard -
DVD drive -
Floppy disc -
Network card (if not with motherboard) -
Sound card (if not with motherboard) –

and another thing, i know certain things need to match, im probs getting AMD stuff, so what things do i need to buy that will match??

and any good websites for buying pc bits ??

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. Use google and start checking around. Here is a good place to start. Check out the barebones and kits.
http://www.geeks.com/

You can start by barebones, then add what you want, based on what you intend to do with the computer. You can do a search for barebones computers and get lots of things to investigate.

ernieh

ernieh

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
www.newegg.com is a good cite to find parts

Edited by ernieh, 22 October 2005 - 10:21 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hard disk -
Processor -
Motherboard -
Graphics card -
Memory (Ram) -
Monitor -
Mouse -
Keyboard -
DVD drive -
Floppy disc -
Network card (if not with motherboard) -
Sound card (if not with motherboard) –

You will also need a heatsink and fan if you don't buy a retail boxed processor. Oh yeah, and a PC case and a Power Supply unit (if the case doesn't come with one as standard, 95% of them do).

Some motherboards have on-board graphics which, while generally of questionable quality and useless for gaming,, are good if you're on a tight budget and you can always add a separate card later.

Virtually all motherboards these days come with an onboard network port and onboard sound. Quite a few are now coming with onboard Firewire as well and 7.1 quality sound. Some people argue that the onboard peripherials don't perform as well as separate cards but most people will be hard pushed to spot any performance gain from a separate card.

and another thing, i know certain things need to match, im probs getting AMD stuff, so what things do i need to buy that will match??

Well a visit to Crucial.com with the motherboard model number and brand name will give you a list of memory sticks that your computer will like. You can also buy graphics cards there as well.

Apart from that, the only other things that need matching are:

1) Processor type to motherboard type; that is to say, an Athlon XP (which is a Socket A/462 chip) processor will never fit on a Pentium 4 board and vice-versa.

2) If your choice of board supports DDR memory then you'll generally want to go with PC3200/DDR400 memory. There is DDR500 available but most DDR boards won't take it so don't buy it unless Crucial's site tells you otherwise.

3) The Front Side Bus (FSB) speed of your processor is related to the speed of the memory. If, for argument's sake, you buy an Athlon XP 2400, this has a FSB of 266Mhz, then even if you buy DDR400, iit'll run at the slower speed as the processor is the slowest link. Boards with DDR2 memory don't suffer from this.

M4d$k1llz

M4d$k1llz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
man i dont get it :)

I have no idea how to build a pc and reading all these sites is just more confussing, i think ill just get my brother/dad to help me do this lol :tazz:

thnx for help!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We had a link somewhere to a good site for a full amd pc building guide that even an idiot could follow but i cant remeber where it is, try looking in the stickies for the system building and overclocking forum.