Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook not recognising CD-Roms

• Please log in to reply

jconnon

jconnon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I insert a CD-Rom, my notebook doesn't recognise any that CDR data (games).

Local: D drive is just blank and refresh doesn't pick anything up.

Any help?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi jconnon! Welcome to G2G!

A simple solution that works for many is to just unisntall the CD-ROM drive. To do this, right click on MY COMPUTER, select PROPERTIES, click on the HARDWARE tab and then the DEVICE MANAGER button. Click the '+' symbol next to DVD/CD-ROM Drives, right click on the CD-ROM drive in question and choose UNINSTALL. Then reboot your computer and let Windows find and reinstall the drivers for the CD-ROM drive automatically.

Fenor

jconnon

jconnon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Tried that solution there thanks.

Rebooted (and can't see my Vista dock but I'll sort that later), system installed new hardware but this message came up:

"Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

Didn't get anything from the troubleshooter.

Many thanks for your prompt reply - any thoughts on the next part?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I would recommend that you uninstall the Vista dock in that it could be at least a part of the cause of your current problems.

Fenor

jconnon

jconnon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Uninstalled Vista but no luck. Still the Codec issue.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Codecs are not used to read cd's, so that isn't the problem. Does the CD-ROM drive read normal cds that you bought at the store?

Fenor

jconnon

jconnon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I got it sorted Fenor.

Here's the solution should anyone else experience this:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps:
Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).
Locate the UpperFilters value under the following key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Locate the LowerFilters value under the same key in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

On the Edit menu, click Delete, and then click OK.
Quit Registry Editor.NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software. If the problem recurs, consult with the software vendor for assistance.

Restart your computer.