Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot add or remove programs

• Please log in to reply

Shiny-p

Shiny-p

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi,

Sometime in the past month a change to my system has resulted in me being unable to add or remove a lot of applications. I first noticed the issue when trying to install Quicktime 7 - the installation just hung when the installshield started. Since then I have tried to uninstall the following applications unsuccessfully;

Mind Manager X5 Trial
Google Earth
Google Desktop Search

All of these uninstall processes get so far before just hanging unrecoverably. I have also installed Norton Internet Security in the past month. I have tried to install and uninstall applications when the firewall and antivirus are disabled but I still have the same problems.

I have a suspicion there is a problem with installshield but I do not understand how an installshield issue could affect multiple programs.

Does anybody have any idea what may be wrong? I do not know where to start to fix this issue so I would appreciate any advice.

In addition - I've just tried to load system restore but the application will not start. This may mean the problem is with Win XP and not the applications.

I am running Win XP.

Kind regards, Simon

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Shiny-p!

First off, do you have Service Pack 2 installed on your computer? You can find this out by Right-clicking MY COMPUTER and selecting PROPERTIES. On the GENERAL tab it will say what version of Windows you have and if you have Service Pack 2 installed it will say that directly underneath it like in the following example:

System:
---------

MIcrosoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Fenor

Shiny-p

Shiny-p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Fenor, thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I do have service pack 2 installed.

Simon

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have Windows Installer 3.1 installed? You can check this by going into the CONTROL PANEL and then ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS.

Fenor

Shiny-p

Shiny-p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, Windows Installer (KB893803) is installed.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Then it's time you do a repair installation of windows using the link in my signature as a guideline.

Fenor

Shiny-p

Shiny-p

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks again Fenor, I'll spend some time at the weekend doing a repair install. Your help is apreciated and I'l let you know how I get on.

Thanks, Simon