Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

hawthorn

hawthorn

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
Hi!

I am getting a bigger Hard Drive instead of the one i have. Just a few queries about installing that Im curious about. When the drive is installed what is the next procedure; I presume it is to install windows xp. I am wondering about the following:

1 When HD is installed does it have dos on it, otherwise how do you run installation cd or dvd for XP?

2 After that, on xp, do you have to install drivers for mouse, keyboard, cd rom, dvd, etc or does xp recognize them ? I have all the disks anyway, but how would you install a driver for cd rom if it was ON a cd rom !!??

3 Perhaps you would be so kind as to outline briefly the steps in order!

System is P4, XP. I wont be keeping the old drive, its already spoken for!

Having said all that I will get a technician to do the job, I think, but would love answers to the questions, just for my own education and curiousity!

Many thanks

TH

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Unless you have another reason to do so, it's not necessary to replace the operating system, programs, etc, when upgrading a hard drive. All modern hard drives come with software and clear instructions for transferring the data from the old hard drive to a new one. I think most people should be able to do it themselves. Just follow the enclosed instructions closely. <_<