Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't Start XP

• Please log in to reply

zenrox

zenrox

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Geeks to Go,
My sister's computer recently stopped working. When she started up the computer she got an error for system32\drivers\ntfs.sys. She cannot start on Safe Mode and it asks her to press "R" for repair when she chooses the Last Known Good Configuration but it ust reboots the computer. How can she resolve this situation without losing her data?

She doesn't have a XP Pro CD - which may actually be the solution to this problem.

Much thanks.

I edited my information to keep it updated and because earlier it wasn't quite accurate.

Edited by zenrox, 28 August 2006 - 09:58 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi zenrox...Welcome to G2G!

Have you tried booting to the Safe Mode options screen and choosing the "Last known good configuration" option?

wannabe1

zenrox

zenrox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
She tried that option and it is the same message as when she chose Safe Mode

Edit: I'm sorry when she chooses Last Known Good Configuration she gets the ntfs.sys error and the option to press "R" to repair. When she presses "R" the computer restarts. The Safe Mode option just lists a bunch of errors (see URL in the reply).

I apologize about the wrong information earlier, my sister wasn't clear to me in explaining her situation over the phone but I'm just glad we're back on the right track in trying to solve this.

Edited by zenrox, 28 August 2006 - 09:58 PM.

zenrox

zenrox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
What are her other options?

Update: Here's all the things she has done so far.

1) Tried the options Normal, Safe Mode, and Last Known Good Configuration on the boot menu. For the most part, just a list of error comes up on a black screen (http://i11.photobuck...ox/Picture9.jpg) and nothing happens afterward.
2) When she chooses Last Known Good Configuration, the error for corrupt/missing ntfs.sys comes up and then asks her to press "R" for repair. Tried pressing "R" for repair but computer just restarts and goes to the boot menu again.
3) We've been trying to get to scandisk through the recovery console but haven't been succesful.

Edited by zenrox, 23 October 2005 - 03:07 PM.

zenrox

zenrox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
No replies... have been waiting patiently!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry zenrox....

from the description....she would kind of need an xp cd...preferably..her xp cd...and she would need to do a repair install of windows...is there any chance that you can get an xp cd to her?