Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File Named iview397[1].exe

• Please log in to reply

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Everyone, I was looking through the list of programs that are listed in my Zone Alarm firewall and noticed that a new file had appeared. It is > iview397[1].exe < Can anyone tell me what it is for? Or what it might do?

Thanks Wendy

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Have you ever used IrfanView?

rharris270

rharris270

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
iview397.exe is the installer for a freeware graphics program called IRFANVIEW.

iview397[1].exe is probably the second download of the same file. Perahps the first download failed, and you tried again?

In any event, if you are unsure of this file, just delete it and download a fresh copy of the installer from the following web page:

http://www.irfanview.com/

This pogram is a good viewer for almost any graphics image, and it has some decent editting capabilities. It is not in the league with Adobe Photoshop or Corel (fromerly Jasc) Paint Shop Pro, but it is free, and may be adeqaute for many things.

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Michael Buckley Yes I do have IrfanView, however I have had it for several months now. I use Zone Labs Zone Alarm basic firewall and that file just 'PooF!' appeared in my firewall within the last few days.

Q: Why did it go put it's self in the program control section of Zone Alarm?, and why would it need to access the internet anyway?

Hi rharris270, Thanks for your input. No I only downloaded it once, but my curiosity just jumps way up anytime that I see something new and unexpected appear like that.

Do either of you guys know why the installer would be waiting a couple months after I've been using the program to appear like that?

Thanks Wendy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can remove the entry from Zone Alarm and check if it returns

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Keith, Thanks for your input. That was going to be my next question too. If I remove it from the program list in Zoan Alarm, then it can't get onto the internet, right?

I mean without putting it's self back into the program list, and then asking for permission. Is that how that works?

Thanks Wendy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That should be the case, though I have Panda which automatically assigns permissions and it lets Windows Movie Maker on with that

Zone Alarm should ask, I think you can set it to do that, though probably worth checking now and then to see if it is back

Most likely this will be if Irfanview is set as the default image viewer and you save an image from a web page, that might give it cause to communicate with the internet

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi keith, Cool then I'll just remove it from Zone Alarm and see if it reappears.
Thanks Wendy

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi kieth, I forgot to say, you can close this topic if you so choose.
Thanks Wendy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
From how I remember Zone Alarm, you can right click a programme then set it to trusted / untrusted for zones as well if it insists on returning to the list

Irfanview is used by too many people for no one to have noticed if it was up to something untoward

Hope it goes well

wendy k. walker

wendy k. walker

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
Hi Keith, Thanks and you're right about Zone Alarm, I can red 'X' it if it comes back. I removed it a couple of days ago, and so far it has stayed gone. Bye Wendy