Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drives Freeze the Computer

• Please log in to reply

AresGodOfWar

AresGodOfWar

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Basically, any time the computer reads a disc from either of my two DVD Drives, it freezes and I have to shut if via the push the power button for 5 seconds method. Only time that it seems to work, is when the drive was in the computer before the pc was on and i hit a shortcut to the game on the cd.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The computer might not have actually froze, it may well just be waiting for the drive to spin up before it can read any data. This is usually the sign of a drive on the way out but as you say it's doing it on both drives and both drives can't both be on the way out at the same time (although it's possible but unlikely I'd have thought).

AresGodOfWar

AresGodOfWar

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well... nothign responds at all when this happens...

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Try disconnecting one drive, then the other, and try out the connected drive.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
Topic-DVD Drive Freezes PC
Date-22nd Oct-2005

Might be your Anti Virus Program/s or Firewall – Do you have more than 1 Anti Virus Programs Running – Try temporarily disabling before inserting DVD –

Right Click [Task Bar] & Click [Task Manager] – before Inserting DVD – Then observe [Task Manager] – and then insert DVD – CPU probably runs at 100% - See who is using CPU –

Then again it could be a [Malware Problem] with Drive Software – Might want to POST in [Malware] Forum or browse thru [Malware]

Jack123