Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Randomly Restarting Computer

• Please log in to reply

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Whenever the operating system is on between 5 mintes to an hour there is always a random restart and I can't get a proper virus scan done nor can I run most programs w/o a random restart. A bit of assistance please. I know it is not my computer overheating as it's running at about 40 degrees celcius. The computer was running well until recently when this problem occured.

Edited by Ryukishen, 22 October 2005 - 04:15 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What are you doing when it restarts?

Windows 98 usually doesn't just restart like that, it usually throws up a blue screen forcing YOU to restart it :tazz:

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am either A. Connecting to the internet. B. Loading IE or Firefox. C. Opening MSN or D. Opening AIM and this occurs.

I believe I may have fixed it. Anyone ever heard of a trojan horse caled Clicker.GK?

That didn't fix it. It still randomly reboots but now it's giving me 3 beeps although I am confused as to what it means. I'm taking out my motherboard's manual now. I'll inform you later once I figured out what 3 beeps means.

News Update, Fat load of good that did. Manual says "Video Card not found or Video Card Memory Bad"

News update, It randomly restarts when it enters the OS and my BIOS screen is distorted by green funky things like
|AO(Has ' ontop of the O) F3/4 (F 3/4).

News update, Computer BIOS is saying "No Ram".

News Update, I found out 1 stick of ram was PC 100 I set bios to run ram at PC-100 speed. Waiting to see if it fixed the issue.

News Update, It somewhat fixed the issue. Windows runs more stably but now I'm getting a blue FLASH before a random reboot (Yes they still happen. ugghh)

Edited by Ryukishen, 22 October 2005 - 05:50 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Sounds like you might have faulty memory.

Do you have a known stick of good memory that your computer likes to swap it out with to see if it runs any better?

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm going to try that. I know that there is 1 stick of memory that might be bad, it's also debranded (which is a bad thing) but it's been working fine in my system for over a year. I'll pull it and see what I get.

Nope. Still likes to randomly restart and die on me. It's definitely not the ram as far as I know.

Ok. I managed to get it to work stabily. I was suprised to find that I swapped out my most reliable brand of ram that is branded and has worked for a long time was the ram that caused the problem. (Or so it appears). My computer has stopped randomly restarting for now but I'm getting a suspisscion that it won't be the end of this problem.

Can a stick of ram just fry itself by being in a computer and just being used normally?

Nope, Problem still occurs. I've tried with ALL my ram, working pulls from computers etc. Problem still occurs. I believe the source is an even bigger underlying problem.

Edited by Ryukishen, 26 October 2005 - 04:06 PM.

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I bought a brand new stick of 256 mb-PC-133 ram. Computer still randomly restarts.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ryukishen...

What video card do you have? Is it a new card or have you updated drivers lately?

wannabe1

Ryukishen

Ryukishen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
My video card is a Radeon 9200 VE. I've tried to get new drivers but what I got from ATI.COM says that I have the most recent version so no help there. IT's a 256 mb SDRAM vid card. The rest of the specs I don't know other than it has S-Vid out. TV-Out. and VGA out.