Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extreme slowness

• Please log in to reply

Carl-P.G

Carl-P.G

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just formatted my C: drive and installed windows on it but everything runs slow and I don't think if it is a spyware issue because well, I just formatted...

Here are my specs

AMD Athlon 2500+ 1.83GHz
768MB of ram

MAXTOR IDE 10GB (5 to 50MB pagefile)
Western Digital 250GB using PCI Card for SATA (1920 to 2500MB pagefile)

When I start my computer it takes years to load (like 5 minutes to load my antivirus, Steam and Xfire...)

When I try to open anything else too it loads like [bleep] as well... (a browser for example)

I would really appreciate your help if you got a clue of my problem.

Also, I just noticed in the Windows log, that error (it is there many times):

The device, \Device\Scsi\m52811, did not respond within the timeout period.

Before, I was using a 4GB Western Digital with the same 250GB setup and it was not slow like that...

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It sounds like the divers for the SATA card need to be reinstalled. From the message it seems to be looking for the drivers and after a certain time it doesn't find them and reports the message. Did you get a disk with the SATA card?

Carl-P.G

Carl-P.G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah, but the SATA disk works just fine, I see it in my windows explorer, can move files on it and etc. And the small program that came with the SATA card is installed and running fine. Like I said, when I had the 4GB IDE with the same SATA card and 250GB HDD it was not slow, is it possible that the problem is the Maxtor 10GB IDE?

Edited by Carl-P.G, 22 October 2005 - 06:06 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Yes it is very possible, is this a used drive? Maybe maxtor has something on there website that you can check the drive.

Did you do a full format or quick format when you installed XP, this of course is assuming you are using XP.

Rick

Carl-P.G

Carl-P.G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My uncle sold me that disk, he said it was working (which indeed is true, or partially...) and he said he had already formatted it using NTFS.

So when I installed it, I only installed Windows XP SP2 on it without reformatting it.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I would reformat it using NTSF but use the full format not the quick, then install windows, if the system worked before with the other drive it should again unless this drive is bad but I would give the above a try before giving up on the drive

Carl-P.G

Carl-P.G

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks, will try :tazz: (Tired of formatting over and over lol, oh well)