Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP SP2 System hangs wont shutdown properly

• Please log in to reply

DGS

DGS

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a:
Compaq Presario SR1230NX
Windows XP Svc Pk 2 (also with auto updates)
512 MB Ram
2.20 Ghz
I have Norton Internet Security 2005 (non spyware edition)

When we try to shutdown or restart, the system hangs for an inordinately long time before shutting down. Sometimes we can see a box flash that shows CCAPP. I now know that the CCAPP is part of Norton. But I don't know if this is the offending problem child, or if it is one of many. How can I find out what exactly is causing our system to hang for several minutes? Sometimes it takes up to 10 minutes to shutdown.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi DGS!

Could you please attach screenshots (in jpeg form) of the STARTUP tab when you go to START-->RUN and type in msconfig. I need to see all the items that have checkboxes with checkmarks in them. So if you can't fit them all in one, please scroll down the list and take another screenshot and then I will be able to help you determine what could be holding your computer up when shutting down.

Fenor

DGS

DGS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Okay here is the print screen

Attached Thumbnails

• Startup_10_22_05_737pm.jpg

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Uncheck the checkboxes next to the following:
  • dupmprep 0 -u
  • Recguard
  • ALCXMNTR
  • Regshave
  • Spywareguard
  • AGRSMMSGgrsmmsg
Then click APPLY and OK and when asked to restart your computer, click RESTART/OK.

Shut down might be slow this time because the items are still loading when windows starts. Once your computer has rebooted, check the box next to doesn't show this message again referring that you are now using selective startup, then click OK. Then reboot your computer again and see how long it takes to shut down.

Post back how the shutdown went.

Fenor
Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 22 October 2005 - 08:52 PM.