Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Kernel Fault Check?

• Please log in to reply

Annabelle01

Annabelle01

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My computer keeps on restarting every couple minutes. A message pops up saying something about "Kernel Fault Check" and it having to shut down. This started around the same time the restarting problem did. I also got messages a couple times about "jettdfmt.exe" and "ciooinst.exe", but not the last couple times. It's also been running really slowly. I'm not on the account that keeps crashing, so I don't have the exact wording. I might be able to take a picture of it to get the exact text though. Should I bother?
Thanks in advance for any help.
-Anna

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

Annabelle01

Annabelle01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
It didn't work. The computer keeps restarting. I'm on a different XP account now and it restarted too just a minute ago. I don't know if the defragmenting finished because I left it overnight and then when I came in in the morning the computer had restarted. I don't know when that happened though. Should I try all over again? There's no kernel fault check error message anymore.

Annabelle01

Annabelle01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Something new - a blue screen saying that windows has shut down because there was a problem. Something about DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Should I get the exact wording from the whole screen? I'm really not getting enough time before the whole thing restarts to run anything on that account.

Edited by Annabelle01, 23 October 2005 - 09:46 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There are a number of codes which can go with the driver not less etc

It could be hardware

press the pause break key to see if it lets you read the entire error message

Annabelle01

Annabelle01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0xE15C00D0, 0x000000FF, 0x00000000, 0x8055ICA4)

Something about dumping of physical memory.

Edited by Annabelle01, 23 October 2005 - 10:23 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;314063

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;897079

This is to perform a clean boot

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;310353

Clean boot troubleshooting

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;316434

Annabelle01

Annabelle01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks so much. I'll try those in the morning. :tazz:

Annabelle01

Annabelle01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
None of those worked. It's still restarting. Also, I think I messed something up because Word doesn't open ("The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0150002)") and neither does Windows Media Player ("An internal error has occured"). Other things might not work but I haven't run many things. On the bright side it's not restarting as often. When it boots up after it shuts down it says "Windows has just recovered from a serious error." and asks if I want to report it or not. I did once. I tried re-installing windows media player but the same error occured midway through the installation. I'm currently playing music on Windows Media Player 2 or something, so it's not anything wrong with my files or the soundsystem or anything. Ugh. I get the feeling this is something major so any help at all would be appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;315271

http://support.micro...122120121120120

This will give a clearer indication of the error

For Word, open it, click help then detect and repair to see if it helps

Annabelle01

Annabelle01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
There is no help for word. There's just "Click OK to terminate the application". The dumpchk.exe program doesn't work. A box opens up for a split second, then it closes right away.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use these to repair XP

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

To repair Word, open any Office Programme, click help then detect and repair