Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anonymous Proxies

• Please log in to reply

The Pusillanimous One

The Pusillanimous One

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have absolutely no clue as to how I'd go about using anonymous proxies, but I have friends that tell me they are a great way at masking your IP address to avoid prying eyes. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me exactly what they are, what they do, and perhaps suggest how I'd go about implementing them.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello The Pusillanimous One and Welcome to Geeks To Go, :tazz:

A Proxy server HAS MANY TYPES AND FUNCTIONS:

A server that acts as an intermediary between a workstation user and the Internet so that the enterprise can ensure security, administrative control, and CACHING service. A proxy server is associated with or part of a gateway server that separates the enterprise network from the outside network and a firewall server that protects the enterprise network from outside intrusion.

A Server where a high level of security of required, it may be used to provide a gateway between a local area network and the Internet. The local network is protected by firewall software installed on the proxy server. This software enables the proxy server to keep the two worlds separate. All outward HTTP requests from the local network pass through the proxy server and similarly all information retrieved comes back in via the proxy server and is then passed back to the client.

A server that receives requests intended for another server and that acts on the behalf of the client behalf (as the client proxy) to obtain the requested service. A proxy server is often used when the client and the server are incompatible for direct connection. For example, the client is unable to meet the security authentication requirements of the server but should be permitted some services

A technique used to cache information on a Web server and acts as an intermediary between a Web client and that Web server. This is common for an ISP especially if they have a slow link to the Internet. Proxy servers are also constructs that allow direct Internet access from behind a firewall. They open a socket on the server, and allow communication via that socket to the Internet

WHAT ALL THIS MEANS TO YOU,

In a NutShell proxy servers do provide a firewall between you and the internet or world wide web, but a proxy server also records each and every URL you visit so that when another user attempts to connect to one of the URL's you have connected to instead of that user getting to the original web page, they get the same downloaded page that you visited... this is how ISP's like NetZero are able to get just a little bit faster internet service amongst their DialUp peers.

If your are on a high speed internet connection (NOT DIAL UP) and you are just wanting to mask your IP address then I would reccomend just getting a good firewall. Here is a link to a really good free one: http://smb.sygate.co...pf_standard.htm

If you are on Dial Up and you are wanting to increase your speed just a smidge you might try checking out this link of Public Proxy servers: http://www.publicpro....com/index.html