Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grub prevents Windows XP Home Recovery CD from installing

• Please log in to reply

gmhafiz

gmhafiz

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hello. I have the exactly same problem as Ebene here. Unfortunaly, I do not have Winxp home CD. Instead, I have two recovery CDs from ASUS. The problem is the recovery cd doesn't give me an option to go to recovery console :tazz: . If I can get to the recovery console, then I can just do fixmbr.

I wanted to reinstall winxp in my laptop. But when the recovery CD asks me to reboot, the Grub message appears. It seems that the recovery CD doesn't overwrite the bootloader. How do I install Winxp back?

Can I reformat the whole drive using Ubuntu Live CD and installwinxp using the recovery CD?

Please help.

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hello

You can't do a repair install or a lot of the other things you can normally do with a Windows XP CD. The only thing you can do it restore your computer to how it was when you got it. If you did format with Ubuntu Live CD (or anything else) you should be able to use those CDs to restore your computer to how it was when you brought it. If you need any more help just ask.

gmhafiz

gmhafiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am now using a winxp pro cd to format my whole hard drive. I'll inform you whether the grub message will appears again.

gmhafiz

gmhafiz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I successfully formatted the cd but then, a message appears saying that it cannot read from the cd. I guess the cd is not functioning well.

However, I removed the winxp pro and inserted the recovery disk. Finally, winxp installs! No more grub messages! Problem solved. Thank you.