Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes at startup!

• Please log in to reply

firehawk12

firehawk12

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
So, I look at my PC and it's "frozen", so I decided to reboot...
Then it gets stuck after detecting my HDs... then it gets stuck detecting my SCSI devices (this is pre-Windows load screen)...

Finally, Windows actually loads, but it freezes within a few minutes of loading the desktop... and it's happened three times now.

I try to get into Safe Mode, but it seems to be stuck in the "loading drivers" phase... so, I have no idea what's going on.

HD seems to be fine, the rest of the hardware seems to be fine... so... Any help?

Oh, I have WinXP SP2...

Thanks!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete then reboot

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

firehawk12

firehawk12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'll try that, but I noticed something...
I left my computer off for a few hours and booted it up again, and it worked properly for about 5-10 minutes before freezing again.

Could this be a heat issue?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can start checking for improvements after running sfc /scannow before moving on to the next step and so on

If after running through all the steps, it is still freezing, you can look at other things

Heat would usually cause the PC to shut off, or at best, reboot

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then sensor

Do this at start up then every ten minutes or so to check for heat errors

firehawk12

firehawk12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hrm, the PC won't stay "unfrozen" long enough for me to do the sfc /scannow.

Also, out of curiosity I tried to see if that "Repair Windows" thing will work, but it doesn't give me that option.... all it can do is delete my Windows directory.
I reseted and tried to get it into it again, but it froze after loading the drivers!

Ugh... what should I do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The alternate XP Repair guide uses a slighlty different method

firehawk12

firehawk12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hrm, when I loaded up Windows again and got that "Report Error" thing, the webpage said there was something wrong with my NVidia driver...

Could this be video card related?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If there is a reported error relating to the card then update the drivers

http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp

firehawk12

firehawk12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The problem is that my PC freezes before I can do anything substantial. :tazz:

Doh, I can't even get it to load the Windows Setup from the CD now... it just freezes there too.
I'm thinking it's a hardware error, but I have no idea what it can be.

Edited by firehawk12, 23 October 2005 - 07:37 PM.

firehawk12

firehawk12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Okay, I bit the bullet and pulled most of my hardware, except my Network card and my Video card... I also did a fresh install of Windows on another drive.
So far, the PC seems to be quite stable... But, I have no idea if it's a Windows thing or a hardware thing.
I'll try to go back to the old windows installation to see if it works then. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Keep adding a programme and set a system restore point then see which bit causes the problem

firehawk12

firehawk12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
ARG! So, after a few hours, my PC resets itself... and then won't turn on anymore, which probably means the Powersupply is dead. :)

Could this be at all related to my problems, or is this just a NEW problem? Guh. :tazz: