Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BUILDING NEW COM HELP

• Please log in to reply

tennisboy

tennisboy

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
These are the computer specs i have so far ALL I NEED HELP WITH IS TO FIND A GOOD PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD WHICH IS GOOD FOR FPS GAMES, CAN U GUYS HELP ME OUT THNXS!

1) Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ w/ 512K Cache (Retail Box)
Up to 1600Mhz System Bus
AMD Retail Heatsink and Fan

2) Motherboard: Asus A8V-E Deluxe w/ DualDDR400, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan + WiFi-g, SATA, PCI-E x16
Onboard 100/1000 Gigabit Lan + WiFi-g
Onboard 100/1000 Gigabit Lan + WiFi-g
Onboard 8-Channel 7.1 Audio

3) Kingston 512MB PC3200 (X4) DDR SDRAM CAS 3 (total: 2 gigs)

4) Case: Antec Performance TX1050B SOHO Tower w/ 500W SmartPower 2.0
Antec 500W SmartPower 2.0 Included with Case

5) Drive: LG Super Multi DVD Writer 16x16 DVD +/-RW Dual-Layer, Beige (OEM) In Stock

6) Hard drive maxtor 250 gig

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Howdy,
Well first whats your budget, only then can we reccomend a card for you. As a second point you want to get yourself 2 1gb stickes of ran rather than 4 512mb as most motherboards ive seen have a speed decrease in ram from ddr400 to ddr333 when you use all the available slots for ram in the dual channel mode. It also makes upgrading easier if you only have two sticks.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Will it make a big diff if i decide to get 2x 1gig sticks rather than the 4x 512 mb sticks? cause i save 120 buxs =/ i don't plan to go higher than 2 gigs so i need your opinion =(.

about the video card i found the BFG Geforce GT OC 256mb PCI- E its $460 , the ati radeon x 850 256mb PCI-E is $460, and the nvidia 7800 gtx is $670 .

I don't wanna spend over 500 buxs on a video card so i was wondering which is better between the bfg 7800gt oc or the radeon x850 pci express. ( need to get 100+ fps in counter-strike cause i'm playing competitively in tournaments, i'm getting 22 fps on my fx 5500...)

thnxs for your help!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the 2 x 1gig sticks will make a fair difference there is a reason its a 120 bucks more, if i had two 1 gig sticks i wouldnt be upgrading either because then the speed increase would kick in and i would just get a newer motherboard that supports more ram. But you could save even more money and get just one gig or two 512s and a 1 gig stick you wouldnt have dual channel on the big stick but you would on the other two and it would all still run at ddr400 check the motherboard manual fore more info it should be available online.

Well have you checked out the new ATIs on the R520 core that just came out there is a mid range gamers one that might suit your purpose, but you dont actually need much more than 35- 40 fps in counterstrike as your eyes cant see the difference, i run my counterstrike at full everything and i average 50 -60 on my gfx card, so not a huge factor there although 22 fps is very low for a fx5500 on that game ive seen it much higher with one of those cards.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
already i've decided to get the 1 gig sticks instead of getting 4 512mb sticks thanks for the advice.

The new radeon cards are so [bleep] expensive though lol, the radeon 850xt platnium edition is 750 buxs and thats the cheapest i can find it here in edmonton =(, i'm looking more towards the BFG Geforce GT OC 256mb PCI- E its $460 what are your thoughts on it warriorscot?

thnxs again!

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
o i didn't read carefully hahah so i get 1x 1gb ram stick and 2x 512mb sticks and that would be faster than 2x 1gig sticks? That is really weird i never knew that i still don't really understand it =( i'm noob at computers >_<

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Iw ouldnt be faster it would be slower but it would be cheaper i mentioned it as you said you didnt want to spend the money for the two 1gig sticks.

750, i take it you must live in aus land of extortianate computer parts, what card is the GT the 66 or th 6800. there is supposed to be cheaper ones about the x1500 or x1600 there starting price is supposed to be around 200 pounds less than the price of a 6800GT.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
k i decided to get just 1 gig of ram lol cause its bit to pricy plus i don't really need 1 gig of ram i guess.

No lol i live in canada, the GT i was talking bout was the BFG Geforce 7800 GT OC 256MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, VIVO. What do u think of this one?

O ya, which would u recommend the amd 3500+ 512k cache ($249.95) or the 3700+ 1mb cache ($289.95) ??

thnxs again man

thnxs again man

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
with most montherboards though, as with ine, i have 4x 512 sticks, i can force the board to runthe ram at 400mhz, so, i stick with my 4 sticks, so, if you don't mind tweaking the bios a bit you should be fine with the 4 sticks

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
that does void your warranty though and there is a reason why it runs at that speed with the four sticks, you do get better timings at those speeds which is fine for gaming. I would go with the san diego with the 1meg cache its a fair bit faster and is a good overclocker(will go higher than the 3500+).

But if you are getting a 7800GT the x1800 is much faster than it, its a shame the r580 core cards arent out till christmas.

Advertisements

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
auctly it does not void your warrenty, because it is not overclocking, it is just setting it at the correct speed. I auctly asked Corsair about it, and thats what they said.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah but corsair dont make the motherboard and that is the warranty you void the ram is fine they guarantee there ram to much faster than what its rated to be, its the motherboard warranty that is voided by it as ddr333 is the maximum rated speed for 4 sticks of dual channel ram, you go beyond this speed the motherboard manufacturer considers it to be overclocking and since its them that would be responsible for the mobo faults its not a good idea to void that warranty as soon as you get the mobo.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
OKAY i'm done building my com only thing wrong is my hard drive i have a maxtor 250 gig model #6L250R0 its 250 gigs but when i partitioned it said my max hard drive memory is 127 gb.... whats wrong? it says 127gigs... when i go to "my computer"

whats wrong!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You need to update windows to sp2, before that xp couldnt recognise drives above 130gb as they didnt really exist at the time.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
so once serveice pack 2 is installed and when it starts up it will say 250 gigs?

thnxs so much for your help warriorscot, the new computer is great !