Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with cdrw/dvd drive on laptop

• Please log in to reply

Draxxx

Draxxx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I own a Sony Vaio laptop with the 2002 version of Windows XP Home Edition.
It is a Pentium 4CPU with 3.2Ghz processor and 512MB Ram.
The drive I am having the problem with is a cdrw/dvd drive with the label QSI CDRW/DVD SBW242C.

I can use regular cds and cd-roms with the drive but when I put in a dvd, it spends some time reading or trying to read the disc before the entire screen freezes and I can't do anything short of pushing the laptop's power button or the eject button. When the eject button is pressed, Windows shuts down and restarts and the disc is left inside the drive. If the dvd is not removed soon after restart, the computer will freeze on me again before Windows is even loaded. After the dvd is taken out, the computer will ask me if I want to run Windows in safe mode.
I'm not sure what to do at this point, whether I should send it away to get fixed or buy a new drive to replace or upgrade it like a drive with a dvd burner.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I think the approach to take will depend on whether or not the computer is under warranty. If it is under warranty, take it up with Sony. If not, let us know and we can try to assist you.