Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Virtual Machine

• Please log in to reply

grandpa

grandpa

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi,

This is probably a stupid question.

But can someone tell me the difference between Microsoft Virtual Machine & Java Virtual machine, and what it all means. ( do I need one enabled) running xphome with sp2

Many thanks

Grandpa

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
They both do the same thing on web sites which need java, but the microsoft version is now obsolete owing to a dispute with Sun Microsystems over who owns the java technology. The Sun version is now the accepted standard and it's free from here:
http://www.java.com/...load/manual.jsp
It's called the 'Java Runtime Environment' and that's what you need.
Choose one of the two download options at the top of the list on that web page. The 'Online Installation' will install itself as it's downloading. The 'Offline installation' lets you download the whole thing as a single setup file, which you need to double-click to install just like any other setup file. Choosing that method also means you can save the file if you need to re-install it sometime without having to download it again. When it's installed it will automatically work on Java websites and for Java compiled applications without you having to turn it on.

Edited by pip22, 23 October 2005 - 04:34 AM.

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi

Thanks for that. It was that MS was telling me there was an updtae for VM but it wouldn't install.

I do have JSE runtime V5 installed, and I take it I don't need to do any more.

Many thanks

Grandpa