Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Little bit of help on Photoshop CS2 plz

• Please log in to reply

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hi fellas, I've been using Photoshop for a while and I'm just being introduced to the fun of website making. I've never used the ruler function in Photoshop that much at all so I'm really really frustrated today cos I just spent all afternoon to repeat a trick my mate showed me the other day.

I thought ImageReady is a good way to cut up image then stuff them into your Dreamweaver tables. My mate showed me by turning on ruler in Photshop, then drawing out some blue lines (and they'll stay where you left them). Then using the selection tool to select a certain area, then copy, then make a new file (which would match the copied area exactly in size then paste the copied content into the new file and save it like that).

The problem is, I thought my mate was using "moving tool" (but how could he?). He just drew all those blue thin lines on the image and also he manipulated the positioning of those blue lines. I thought I saw him using the moving tool (the black arrow) but now it's not working with me.

So if you're not confused by what you've been reading so far, plz help and show me the way. I know how to turn on ruler, just don't know how to draw those blue thin lines so I can precisely select certain areas then copy them

Many thanx

Thank You for your honesty about your version of Windows

Geeks To Go are unable to help anyone who does not have genuine software installed

http://www.geekstogo...ndpost&p=426027

Edited by Keith, 28 October 2005 - 07:10 AM.

Advertisements

Suketchi

Suketchi

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hmmm... I've done this before. but it was in CS. I'm not sure if CS2 still works the same way or even has thes options.... but if it does, you're in luck.

Alrighty... you can easily "slice" your page into sections with the slice tool (I am assuming that CS2 still has it.)
When you do so you are able to then manipulate only the sizes and locations of your slices, but that fine. So slice the page how you like it.

After you're done you can go to File>Save for Web (again, assuming that CS2 still has this option) and there you can click each slice and specify its filename, destination, and format.

This is a sure-fire way in CS... and hopefully, if it hasn't changed too much, it will be in CS2. (my apologies for not knowing much about the new Photoshop yet... lol) :tazz:

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Hey Suketchi, thanks for your reply :tazz: Yeah all the functions you mentioned they're still in CS2 it's just that I haven't used the slice tool before either lol I was into the more manipulation/photography functions of Photoshop but yeah I'll try the slice tool first.

mmm... Hope someone know how to use that ruler function cos it was really simple. Just draw all those thin blue lines then select each piece... k I'd better try slice tool first

Thanks again :)

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Right.... I got it how you slice an image up. How do I select the individual ones and save for web? I clicked on one after I sliced the image and went "save for web" but it didn't work out. Another problem is although I chose "JPEG high" it saves the image as a GIF??? And when I checked the directory it wasn't there anyway...

Suketchi

Suketchi

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
:tazz: lol, ah, I see... I forgot to mention that it saves to the specified directory... but it creates a folder named images. Sorry about that. ^^;

If you selected "images only" while saving, then it automatically saves as .gifs. If you you select "HTML and images it will keep your formats and such, and it even does the table for you when you import it into Dreamweaver, I believe.

I was taught to keep all web items in a folder on its own, that way when you save as "HTML and images" you will have those table pieces in its own neat subfolder, which make dumping everything in Dreamweaver so much easier. XD

meh... I hope that helps a bit... I had to open up CS and check, and hopefully it all works the same for you.

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
ooooohh, I got it, thanx! :tazz:

Suketchi

Suketchi

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
:tazz: no prob! glad I could help!

Go4fall

Go4fall

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
HI, :tazz:
Thank both of you guys. I just started figuring out all of the mysteries of CS and reading your discussion really helped me understand this one. Thank you for sharing it here. :)

chinofeliz

chinofeliz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
Anytime, that's what this forum's all about :tazz: E-mail me for any questions I'll try my best :) Cheers