Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router to Router Wireless

• Please log in to reply

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Here's the story, a friend of mine has his internet connection via a wireless ADSL router (D-Link DSLG604T) in his room. In his garage he has something of a computer chop-shop and another wireless router (D-Link DI-524, H/W ver B1, F/W ver 2.02[latest]).

He wants to be able to network the whole lot, connecting the 2 routers to each other wirelessly.

Internet >> ADSL Router >> Bedroom PC
. . . . . . . . . . . . []
Computer<<524 Router>> Computer

>>=Ethernet, []=Wireless

He couldn't get it to work, so he loaned the DI-524 to me to see if I could get such a setup working. As you are reading this post, you may rightly assume that I failed. Instead of an ADSL router, I have cable and a wireless NAT router (Netgear WGR614v4, latest firmware). I couldn't even get the things to ping each other.

I have set both of them to the same channel and SSID, on the DI-524 I have disabled DHCP and set it's IP to 192.168.0.64 (outside the DHCP range of my Netgear router). The routers are only 2m apart for this test so signal strenght shouldn't be an issue. Also zero security and no MAC control.

Connecting them via ethernet the DI-524 works as a repeater, but that isn't the configuration my friend is seeking, any ideas guys?

Edited by Kurt_Aust, 23 October 2005 - 03:18 AM.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Kurt_Aust and welcome to Geeks to Go, :tazz:

I need to know what you are wanting to network the two routers together, for.... before I can assist you.

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I can only assume that my friend's parents are not particularly enthusiastic about the idea of running patch cables through the house. From memory his house is right on the slab, so you can't go under, not sure about the roof space, but again his parents might not like him drilling holes in the ceiling and outside wall.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The D-Link 604T has, AFAIK, no possible way to get it to log onto another router wirelessly, though it would be possible to get it to use the modem from another ADSL router instead of the one built into the 604T, but this would have to be a wired connection and involves using the 604T's bridge facilities.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
You are not in need of two routers if he has a DSL Modem and wireless router in his room. all he is needing is another wireless NIC or wireless USB Receiver in his garage for the pc located there..Then he could enable file and print share on the two pc's to transfer files between the two.

If he is attempting to set up two different wireless access points from the same modem then he must have a hard wired cat5 switch out of his modem that is hardwired with cat5 to feed two Wireless Routers.

OR

He must have a Wireless Switch that feeds two Wireless routers via broadcast. (NOT CHEAP)

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I can assure you that my friend (D.A.) has no particularly funky stuff like the Cowboy is suggesting.

To the best of my knowledge this is the story, he had a wireless network set-up using a couple of cheap 801b cards. However the connections were pretty iffy and kept dropping out, mind you the cards were pretty dodgy, as I commented on one "Is the aerial supposed to fall off like that?"

On the other hand he does have more than a few 10/100 LAN cards, so I think the idea was he'd pick up a cheap 801g router (can't get much cheaper than D-Link). Then he'd set it up in a good location to connect wirelessly to his ADSL modem/router and wire the PCs in his workshop up to the router rather than spend up on 801g PCI cards which may not have worked (due to location, location, location).

I've told him before not to buy D-Link, looking at this router only reinforces my opinion.
Default reply to internet ping
Default UPnP enabled
Default DoS protection off
Default SPI off
Default VPN pass through
Clearly D-Link doesn't give a dam-n about the security of their customers!

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
An update: I found some less than encouraging information on Netgear's support site. However they do have a wireless print server that looks like it would do the job.

khazoie

khazoie

• Pip
  • 6 posts
you can't use those two equipment to boost or extend wireless coverage. signal booster or a repeater should work.

alien666

alien666

• Pip
  • 4 posts
He wants to be able to network the whole lot, connecting the 2 routers to each other wirelessly.
T[/color]This just will not work.[color=#FF0000]
Internet >> ADSL Router >> Bedroom PC
Computer<<524 Router>> Computer

>>=Ethernet, []=Wireless

You need.......
Internet>>>>>ADSL ROUTER SET FOR dchp >>PC>>>>>DLINK DWL2100AP [ SET IN BRIDGE MODE]
.......................[]
........................[]
DLINK DWL2100AP [ SET AS AP ] >>>>PC>>>PC
I Have connection between two detached houses this way upstairs front to
downstairs back . The ADSL router assigns IP addresses for all the machines.

this works. I use it each day

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Thanks, oh you devilish thing from another world you, I've forwarded this page to my friend, whether he does anything with it is another matter.

d3coy

d3coy

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
i haven't read all the replies, but couldnt u just have the main connection. a router, and then the rest with wireless network cards!?!? then from that set up a home network!?

Kurt_Aust

Kurt_Aust

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
There were three reasons my friend wanted to set it up this way:
1. Cost, he has a heap of LAN cards and thought it would be cheaper to set it up this way rather than buy a set of wireless cards.
2. Location, signal strength is an issue and he was hoping to put the router in a good position and then wire up to it.
3. Support, he has had trouble in the past getting wireless cards to work under Linux.

d3coy

d3coy

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
ahh i gotcha! only reason i mentioned the cards was, i did read something on his parents might not like the idea of drilling holes all throughout the house and wat not. so i thought of a more convenient way. just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents!