Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to format C: with XP!

• Please log in to reply

Fakeor

Fakeor

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Well, Actually i've used the most of the possible ways to do this, but i still cant format the C:(with xp) when i boot from CD-ROM or Floopy Disk!(etc. other harddrives)

Ohh... :tazz:

Is there some MS-DOS program what u decides that force-format the C:(with xp)!?

I'm going to install an older version of Windows, Win98!

Why?: Cos the computer is slow/viruses/programs won't work on a slow computer like this with Xp/ and other things!

The main harddrive is divided in 3 harddrives on the computer, if u understand what i mean with it!
( If it does matter )

So, please help me out of here!

I aint so good in english, and neither that good on understanding other difficult spellings! So take care, just 13 year(from norway))

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can try these or go straight to getting Everest to find out the hard drive manufacturer

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete then reboot

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates

Please set a system restore point before you install anything

Download Everest Home Edition

Run it, click + next to computer then summary, look on right for storage, then the first disc listed under floppy

Visit the manufacturer's site to get their drive utility

If you are unable to find anything, or are unsure if the files are correct, post the make and model here before you download anything

If you can improve it enough to keep XP

Please go here: Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Aww, thanks! I'll try this as fast as possible!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Most hard drive manufacturers have a drive set up utility file which includes a drive eraser

Hopefully, you will be able to change things before needing it

Some programmes are suited to previous versions of Windows

Right click a desktop icon for an older programme, click properties then compatibility, put a tick in run this programme in compatibilty mode, then use the drop down menu arrow to select the version of Windows you had when you got the programme, click apply

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
k, But i also tried to install win98 with format first, that means that i was trying to run the cdrom, but it came up a msg that i could not remove it, cos there were an other version, Something with Windows NT!

You know what it is? Like, i know what NT is, and i found a folder in "programfiles" what is named "Windows NT" With thoose pinball games and some other small stuff!

I really dont know how it came up that it was right there, cos i've never done anything with that (suxxor) NT!

But im using another computer right now, so ill test everything u said soon!

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Aww... I tried to do what u said, but half of it didnt work and i didnt understand.. it's a bit of garbage(the computer)!

But i've ran Fdisk and all that, think i did on the right way! But now i got problems with running up the CD-ROM after i've formated C:

Well... It comes as usually: Invalid system disk bl.a bl.a bl.a u know...

And when i boot from CD-ROM: Boot from Atapi CDrom - Failure...
Invalid system disk bl.a..........

What am i doin' wrong?
I've tried about 50 times to restart, change on some settings, and try again... Aaa!
I've formated C:, and i got a bootdisk for WIN98 and Win98SE!
The Windows im going to install is 98SE!
At least at norwegian: "Windows98 Oppgradering!" And that means Windows98 Upgrade version!

Edited by Fakeor, 28 October 2005 - 10:04 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
An upgrade version will show as invalid because it looks for the version of Windows it is upgrading and can only continue an installation, an upgrade disc cannot start an installation

Fakeor

Fakeor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Actually, then it's only Norwegian who got better Program cd's :tazz:

Cos my friend have done just the same thing...The WIN98 Cd contains Win98, and Windows 98 Upgrade... both is there... So it wont be any harm of using it! Trust me...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Fine, but an upgrade disc on its own would give you an invalid disc error

Hope it goes well