Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB 2

• Please log in to reply

Scotty064

Scotty064

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I recently had to wipe and re-install windows XP, my USB ports have reverted back to USB 1. There is a driver on my recovery disk but it does not work. I have tried online to find one without any luck.... Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
SP2 should help

Scotty064

Scotty064

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
i don't want o download SP2, thats the reason i had to re-install windows in the first place....any other ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To upgrade to the USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller driver in Windows XP Service Pack 1, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that Windows XP Service Pack 1 is installed. Make sure that you have restarted your computer if you receive a message to do this.

2. Open Device Manager. Locate Devices by Type.

To open Device Manager, either run Devmgmt.msc at a command prompt, or follow these steps:

a. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.

b. Expand System Tools, click Device Manager, and then click Devices by type on the View menu.

3. Right-click USB 2.0 EHCI Host controller, and then click Update Driver.

You can find the USB Host controller entry in either of the following locations:

• Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

• Other Devices

Note In the Other Devices location, the USB Host controller entry is labeled Universal Serial Bus controller with a yellow exclamation mark.

4. Click Install the software automatically (Recommended), and then click Next.

5. Click Finish when installation is finished.

Note You may receive a message to restart your computer to finish the installation.

Scotty064

Scotty064

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

thanks for your help, do you know if there is any way to do this without using any Microsoft service packs? after my very bad experiences in the past am trying to never use any of them again!