Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC Wont Boot & My Monitor Stays Black...

• Please log in to reply

.:MaHaK:.

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi i know you probably come across this type of message or problem ALL the time! i dont wanna sound like a dumba** but i am completely a computer illiterate. so ill do my best to tell you whats the problem.

ok, so its like this: my PC wont start up. when i turn it on it beeps once you hear clicking sounds and the keyboard, cd-rom drive, cd-rw drives and everything esle lights up. the cpu fan works fine everything seems to be alright. but my monitor wont start up. the screen just stays black and it shows a yellowish light like its in stand-by mode or something. ive tried just about everything i could. checked just about every forum topic on the net that i could find pertaining to my problem. they were pretty accurate, but whatever i did nothing seemed to work. ive tried the "clearing the CMOS" trick ( taking out the battery for about 15-30 seconds and putting it back in while the power was off ofcourse), tried somethin some1 suggested in another site's forum about unplugging the main power cord and holding the start button for 30seconds and turning it back on, ive takin everything out that wasnt necessary such as unplugging the floppy drive, modem, other O/I like the USB ports, pc speakers, modem cable and so on, ive also cleaned out everythin, every little dust particle [lol] every little thing has been cleaned so i KNOW thats not a problem....but nothin has worked. ive also done the so-called tests by taking out the RAM and seeing if it beeps or makes some kind of noise or what-have-u ...i have disconnected everything and i get the errors they are supposed to have ...like the series of beeps ur supposed to hear....so i guess those things are okay...but NOTHING will change with the monitor. it just stays black with its evil little yellow light ticking me off.... :woot: im basically going nuts!

i would appreciate it if you guys could help me out with this....

[ i have no idea what my PC specs are...ive had it since march 2003 and all i know is its: P4, windows XP sp2, and ummmmm....told you i was PC illiterate... :tazz: ]

Please HELP! :)

thanks alot im "PATIENTLY" waiting 4 your replies.....

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I hope it is this

Turn the PC off then turn the power off, switch the monitor off so no lights show, either with its power button or unplug it. Leave it a minute then turn the power back on to the PC, then to the monitor

Boot the PC

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well i did exactly what u just said, Keith, in EXACTLY the order you said to do it in....and still nothing.:woot:

i donno if this would help at all but before when my PC was working, i would get a wierd message on my screen. my monitor would go black and a message would come up stating that there was not enough frequency or somethin...don really remember what it said word-4-word but it would have a sort of countdown til the screen shuts off then it would turn off n have that annoyin yellow light . and when u tried turning it back on the same thing came up about not enough frequency and do the exact same thing.

but obviously thats not my problem now...it wont even turn on. i wish that was my problem now so at least i wouldnt be so upset and think that im losing all my movies n music and stuff on my PC :woot:

i hope i get more replies with more suggestions because i really have nothin left to try :), unless i take it to some Pro. and thats a DEFINITE last resort im not wanting to do.

STiLL keeping the "patience"......:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, choose safe mode, this will bypass the video adapter and also set the monitor resolution at 640 or 800 by 600

See if it will do this, if it does, right click the desktop then properties, click settings and adjust the monitor resolution to 800 by 600, click apply and reboot

The out of range thing is usually the monitor resolution set too high

If it loads properly then look for updated video adapter drivers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
:woot: yet again....that didn't work either. it seems when it tries to boot up the keyboard lights up for about half a second. if i check to see if the keyboard is working like pressing Caps/ Num lock or somethin it wont light up.let alone to keep tapping F8 :)

could it be that something is not connected right? or ...something of that nature?? im totally clueless. i have had no luck not even new sounds with the darn thing. it's like whatever i do nothin seems to change. it keeps makin the same sounds and hums tickin me off more and more....i swear i need to control myself or i would smash the thing to pieces...:tazz: , but i need the data on my PC and it took so long to get whats on there that i dont want to take any chances and gotta hold back on my impulses. [sounds crazy i kno...lol]

theres gotta be something i can do....

im soooooooooo sorry im bugging you guys but this is a major thing for me...not to bring up the subject but my father passed a few months ago and he was the one who bought it for me on his own birthday in March 2003. and he was a very strict man who saved alot. so it took me yearrrrrs to get complete trust in him and finally get a computer. he always would get upset if he heard i wanted an antivirus or somethin he thought i messed up the computer and we would have some intense fights. [u know how persian men are...especially persian fathers of Daughters] so anyway, ive gotten real real upset lately 4 obvious reasons but whenever something happens to my PC i get so upset like if i get a new one or new parts or something that i will be erasing his memory or ruining what he gave me in the first place. i probably sound like some loner with a fake story to you...but its true. so excuse me if im a little pushy and demanding with my questions or replies. so sorry

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a friend who will help you with this

http://www.ehow.com/...econd-hard.html

Install your drive in to their PC to get the data off then save to disc (CDR)

With this out of the way, you can format your drive and load it back in to your PC

Ignore the ads which link from the above link

Billre1967

Billre1967

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
From what you've said it sounds like it may be your computer's power supply. The power supply can go bad and still give enough electricity for the fans and lights to work. But the computer won't boot up. Of course, that's only one possibility. I don't know if you'd want to spend the money on a new power supply and then find out that it's not the problem. Before, it would tell you there wasn't enough frequency. Was the computer still running when that would come up? Or had the computer stopped running? Some monitors will tell you that it's not getting a signal from the computer. So, if the computer was shutting down due to a problem the monitor would tell you there was no frequency.

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Keith: :tazz: that sounds like a good idea. i guess thats just about all i can do for now. anyways, thanks alot for ur help. sorry about everythin....

Bill: my computer was running fine. only the monitor would shut off n give off that frequency message. but besides that my net connection was still on, my drives were on, i could still hear some music i had playin. it was like the monitor had a mind of its own and shut off...leaving it looking as if it was in stand-by mode.