Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Profile Change-Windows 98SE and Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
just purchased ACS computer with Windows XP and have several questions. If I use this computer as default, do I have to change my profile. Also upon startup system is telling me that it has detected PNP sound chip. Please advise if I am required to follow instructions. Also there is no installation disk with this computer. Is there a way to connect a printer without it.

Thanks for all help in the past.

Regards

PS: also is it advisable to downgrade from Windows XP to Windows 98SE(only have 64 megs of ram.) System has Pentium x486)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Why not run Everest Home Edition and post the results here. We can tell a lot about your system from it.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Could you fill me in on "Everest Home Edition" What it is and where is the source.

Also please note that on Windows XP, Modem is not working. I have several Modems laying around from other computers, but I do not know how to evaluate their K ratings.

Please advise.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If your modem isn't working you can't download Everst Home, and it's too big for a floppy. You could have just googled for the link, that's what I did.

http://www.snapfiles...et/everest.html

You might want to try a different modem, one that's likely to be recognized by XP, and then download the file and run it.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi waynf...

Go to the Device Manager, expand Modems...your modem should be listed there with ID information...post it here for us. You might also download SysSpec from my signature and post us a log. (it should fit on a floppy)

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 24 October 2005 - 10:50 PM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Re response from wannabe1 dated 24 Oct 24,2005 11:48 PM.

Device Manager lists Modem as follows:

[b]HSP K56FLEX PNP MODEM COM 3

Cannot use SysSpec on Windows XP, encountering difficulty getting Windows XP to read 3 1/2 Floppy from Windows 98SE.

Regards