Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with the Product Key

• Please log in to reply

Monkey Apathy

Monkey Apathy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
So I just got XP (Yeah, I'm behind the times, so what? :tazz: ). Anyway, attempted installation but it rejects the Product Key code as invalid. This is the second copy of XP that has been invalid. I've already perused Windows support for alternatives and it's pretty limited. Before attempting the installation, I disabled all programs bar Explorer. I just want to install the upgrade version so I don't lose all my stuff.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Monkey Apathy...Welcome to G2G!

What version of XP are you installing, and where did you purchase the CD. Some OEM versions can be a bit stubborn.

wannabe1

Monkey Apathy

Monkey Apathy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Both copies of XP were purchased within the past week. The current one earlier today at Walmart (seeing as that's where the first was purchased and they're stubborn and do only exchanges). The version is Windows XP Home Edition.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Monkey Apathy...

Good...it's a retail version then. That's what I was hoping you'd tell me. I'm assuming you have installed the XP on your machine (upgraded 98). Open the My Documents folder and click on Help then on "Is this copy of windows legal" (This is just so we can run the validation tool). Click on "Validate Now" in the "Run the Validation Assistant" box. It should validate. Let me know how it goes.

If you have yet to install XP, please post back to let me know.

wannabe1

Monkey Apathy

Monkey Apathy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have yet to install XP.

That's the problem - it won't accept the product key that was enclosed as valid. So I can't even install it.

And yes, I'm currently running 98 SE.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1. Verify that the product key is correctly entered into the Product Key boxes.

Note If you are unable to locate your product key, or if your product key label is damaged, contact Microsoft Product Support Services. For more information, please visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://support.micro...tus/?ws=support

2. Verify that your anti-virus software is not running when you run Windows Setup. For information about how to disable your anti-virus software, view the documentation that is included with your anti-virus program, or contact the manufacturer of your anti-virus program.

3. Disable the anti-virus settings in your computer's Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) before you start Setup. For more information, view the documentation included with your motherboard or computer, or contact the manufacturer of your motherboard or computer.

4. Verify that your installation media is not damaged. If it is, replace it.

5. Verify that the computer's system date is correct. For information about how to check the date in your computer's CMOS settings, view the documentation included with your motherboard or computer, or contact the manufacturer of your motherboard or computer.

6. Try starting Windows without loading extra drivers and programs. This provides as clean an installation environment as possible. After you "clean-boot" your computer, rerun Setup.

http://support.micro....com/kb/192926/

I note you tried with most things disabled, clean boot may make a difference, if not, you can contact Microsoft