Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transfering Computer Data From One Computer to a Newer One

• Please log in to reply

hysteria

hysteria

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
I just received a new computer from my father. My older computer has a hard drive with all of my old personal files and picture and music and videos. This computer has two hard drives: a C:\ with 9 Gigabytes and a "Storage" D:\ with over 66 Gigabytes. The C:\ came pretty much all full. So I have about 1 Gig left on that drive.

My little brother has an I-pod, and all of his music (over 12 gigs) is on that old computer, which is going to him. However, I love to listen to that music and burn CD's for myself. Is there a way to transfer (most) of the data from that computer to my new one? Including most of my music videos?

I remember reading/hearing something about a special cord that would have to be the trick.

If you guys could help me set this up it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Hi
I think the cord you are thing of is a net work cable. You could link the computers and then send the information from one to the other. I can be hard to setup on older computer though.

I think the easiest way to transfer data is, CD, DVD, USB flash drives. They can transfer large amounts of Data and don't need any setting up (like connecting the computers would). You could even put one of your hard drives in to the old computer and then put every thing in to that, and then put it back in your computer.

Hope this helps

yardguard

yardguard

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
http://www.wown.com/...mig/usbmain.htm

An article dealing with various cable connections.....

hysteria

hysteria

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Hi
I think the cord you are thing of is a net work cable. You could link the computers and then send the information from one to the other. I can be hard to setup on older computer though.

I think the easiest way to transfer data is, CD, DVD, USB flash drives. They can transfer large amounts of Data and don't need any setting up (like connecting the computers would). You could even put one of your hard drives in to the old computer and then put every thing in to that, and then put it back in your computer.

Hope this helps

Oh, well, they are both XP computers, and relatively good-working. It would just take too long to burn all of my musix and my usb flash drive is only 200 megabytes. So what's the point really? Thank you for that article! I will check it out when I get home from school.

Thanks guys. Any more info. would help!

-Dan

not_napster

not_napster

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I think Michael Buckleys post says it all. But you will need a reverse network cable if the connection is directly from computer to computer Else You can use a hub, switch or a router with a normal network cat5 cable to transfer files from one comp to the other.

Or I'm assuming your brother has a 20gb ipod. You could use that ipod to transfer files instead of your 200mb usb flash.

Now here is something I found using google. I knew the first method. But I found another on google. Here come both .....

First: a regular network cable will not work. You need what's called a "reversing" network cable. The problem is that a regular cable will connect the transmitter of computer A to the transmitter of computer B, and the reciever to the receiver. What you want is the "reverse" - you want the transmitter of one computer connected to the reciever of another. (Hubs, routers and the like know to listen to the transmitter, and send to the receiver - so "normal" cables work just great when you're connecting to those.)

Second: you may need to install an additional network protocol. If all you're doing is connecting two computers, you may need to install either the IPX or NetBEUI protocols. It's more complicated than is neccessary to get into here, but these protocols allow computers to identify themselves, rather than relying on some other device to assign them an address. In this case things that rely on TCP/IP will not work. However, if you use Internet Connection Sharing on one of the computers to share a connection, then TCP/IP, and all the tools that rely on it, will work and no additional procotols will be required.

hxxp://ask-leo.com/can_i_network_two_computers_with_just_a_cable.html

cheers

not_napster aka ReckleSS

Edited by not_napster, 24 October 2005 - 03:23 PM.

2-wheel

2-wheel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
The reversing network cable for ethernet is known as a "Crossover" cable. If both your computers already have NICs "network interface cards" you can use the crossover directly from NIC to NIC, if so this would be the cost effective method. Your average electronics or computer store should have them in stock $5- $10. Then do a search on google. There are many sites with tutorials for setting up the machines with a crossover cable.

Charlie