Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Shamster's Realm - Site Inspection

• Please log in to reply

silentarts

silentarts

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Check my site... tell me what it needs and what it does not....

http://shamster.cjb.net

Advertisements

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Well,

The black is a bit dull.

And some of the links down the side dont work?

Allsortgroup

Allsortgroup

I SPAMMED Too Much!

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 905 posts
Well,

The black is a bit dull.

And some of the links down the side dont work?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Front page doesn't display properly in FireFox, with bits thrown everywhere and overlapping. As expected, it works in Internet Explorer.

Looking at the source code reveals why:

<meta name="generator" content="Microsoft FrontPage 6.0">

And also presence of other items in the source code which can be only be described as surplus to requirements. The transitions are IE only, the BGSOUND tag is IE only (plus the tune it plays is awful), Javascript listed outside the head and uncommented as well.

In fact out of the three working pages on this site, TWO of them don't work properly in Firefox.

The downloads page is blue on black which equals headaches and is laid out in some obscure fashion that makes no sense. Some of the links don't work on it, those that do lead to ZIP files with JAR files in them, whatever they're supposed to be.

The main page should ideally expand to the full length of the browser window. Yours doesn't for reasons that are obscured in the generally awful code that Frontpage has always generated.

Also the buttons on the left - bit bright really considering the rest of the site wouldn't you think? And they don't work either.

This site needs a heck of a lot more work before it can pass as anything half decent, IMO.

lil_cat_luver

lil_cat_luver

• PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
There are so many things wrong with this site, that I don't even know where to begin. Sorry to be so harsh but that's the truth.

I think Neil has told you most of the important things to work on, and I'll just add a few smaller things.

There are so many different colours on that one page. Blue, red, green, purple, orange, silver... These colours don't look good together, I would suggest you change the colours, or at least tone it down.

And the ads...wow, that's just way too many. The ads are taking probably 1/3 of the screen space! If your host is putting tem there, switch hosts. You can get free hosting without ads. If you added them yourself, take some of them down, most people do not like seeing ads.

Cloaking and redirection domains are frowned at by a lot of webmasters, so you might want to take that into consideration. And if you really want it, there are cloaking services that don't place ads on your site.

Google "colour harmony" and "free cloaking".

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
My thoughts, pay a little money to the hosts to get rid of the popups. Change the blue font on the links and download page to gold or some other readable color, other than that it's OK by me.