Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

downloaded ubuntu live cd

• Please log in to reply

ernieh

ernieh

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
right now i am in the middle of downloading ubuntu live cd is there anything special i have to do to burn it to a cd

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I presume it's in the form of an .iso file. Just choose the "burn image" option in your software. I'm using Nero 5.5 and have burned about twenty disks for distros so far without a hitch. I just set up another machne for Fedora Core 4, and I made a Knoppix disk too.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i did this and it seems like it is going to work but then it stopsbefore it gets done loading is it possiable that it messed up on downloading and if so how do i check

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You can do a checksum, you download a checksum file and an application to run it and it tells you if the .iso is valid. The instructions will be on the site. Also, the file size should be nearly 700mb. I used Flashget as a download manager for downloading from HTML pages, and FTP Shell to DL from FTP sites. Both have resume capability, and I made sure the sites supported resume.

But one question is how much memory do you have in your machine? These cd-live distros need quite a bit, I have 256mb in the machine I'm using with Knoppix.

Edited by Tyger, 24 October 2005 - 02:42 PM.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i have one gig of ram

can you give me a site to find this checksum

and what does a download manager do for you

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You should go to the site you downloaded from to get the checksum and .exe files. If you bought the disk it's probably OK. You may need to mess around in Setup to make sure it's configured right for a non windows OS.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
i found a checksum checker program on the net and it said that there was 11 errors is there any way i can fix them or will i have to redownload it

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I would say redownload it. Use a download manager or a dependable FTP client, not IE. A good downloader or client will automatically redownload any missing data packets.

ernieh

ernieh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
what does a download manager do

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The name is very descriptive, it really does manage your downloads. For instance if you want to browse the web while DLing you can set the DL speed lower so your browsing will be faster. Or if you want to leave your computer on all night and have it shut down when the DLs are complete, it can do that. But most importantly a good DL manager can resume broken downloads, during one of th Redhat DLs the server went off line for a couple of days but the DL resumed and completed when it came back on line. It just does a lot of stuff that IE doesn't do during downloads.

ComputerJoe

ComputerJoe

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Comment removed. We do not allow discussion of P2P applications here on this site. Please refrain from making suggestions like this in the future.

Edited by Kat, 26 October 2005 - 03:12 AM.