Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can anything be recovered

• Please log in to reply

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I accidentally reinstalled an OS on a hard drive that had an OS already. I lost GB of info that I stored on my hard drive b/c of this accident. I was wondering if there is any possible way to recovery the lost files on this hard drive. Thanks for the reply.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
You could try some file recovery software, or take it to a place the specializes in file recovery. At least some of the files may be recoverable.

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
chould u use the linux boot cd and use that to find it? and if not what kind of software exest?

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Did you completly reformat the drive or just overwrite the OS?

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
no you can get bit and peices of data back no mater the size of the format it is always thier you can never truely erase all the info on a hdd. it is always their. you just have to know how to recover it.

Chumara

Chumara

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
hmmm... so if I take a 60 gb hdwd full of data with windows xp then completly reformat the drive in a NTFS format the data will still be there?? thats awesome

finehout

finehout

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
yes you can never truely delet deleted info unless u use a special program... all data can be found again if you know what to do.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Normal people cant actually recover the data afterwards , dont start getting it into your head that you can get some software and browse your old deleted files. IT usually requires some secific very expensive hardware and incredibly expensive software. Sometimes as long as the drive hasnt been reformatted you can get stuff back fairly easy but once its been reformatted it is beyond the reach of most people.

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you all for the replies. I read them and decided to use a recovery software on the hard drive. As we speak, the software is running and grabbing the files. I am hoping they are the right files b/c the files I have been getting from freeware recovery software have been files on another hard drive that isnt plugged in. I dont know what is causing it b/c when I go to my F drive it reads 127 GB when I only have the 80 GB plugged in that drive. Strange? Anyways, I can just hope for the best.

I never formatted the drive, I just loaded up the Windows XP CD and pick the wrong hard drive that had an OS already. Its not a complete reinstall (I think) b/c I shut the computer down when its asking for a name and company. Hopefully, it means something if not its all goodz. Thanks for the help and hopefully I get my files back if not I guess I try going somewhere and have them get my files. I will reply with some updates on how everything is going. THanks again and feel free to sugguest any other ideas. Thanks.

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
have you tried running command prompt commands like recover or CHKDSK to perhaps recover lost files that may keep your computer stable? and or have you changed the qutoa management setting for your hd usage?

Advertisements

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
I am not to sure on what u are talking about. command prompt commands like recover? & CHKDSK? quota management settings? I have no clue what these commands do. I doubt that I did any of those but I am not to sure. Srry. Plz continue replying back.

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
if you go to start- all programs then accessories and look for command prompt try to type in CHKDSK and press enter and it will do chkdsk in read-only mode to show you if your system is missing any valuable information to stay stable like a regristry file or a dat or tga tgf you name it. (recover cmd i use very rarely b/c i never hardly have no need to use it b/c i stay on top of this computer every 2 days for updates and such so i just use the CHKDSK coammand to see if anything could be missing or messed up :) ). quota magement is under the properties of your (hard drive=hd). right click on your hd then go to properties and you will see your quota or limit that you want to use least or max amount on your system. the levels go by t, p, e. t being terabyte meaning 1000 gigs. p being perabyte being 1000000 gigs and erabyte being e being 1000000000 gigs ( which we willl be here in the next 1.7 centuries or down to 2 to 7 decades b/c this would require advanced technology in my opinion. if you still dont get any of this well maybe someone else could perhaps explain it better i just put what i know so far. (which was just 1/25th of it.) :tazz:

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thx. I totally understood the whole thing execpt the last part but dont wrry, I'll figure it out. Thanks for the replies and hopefully, I can come back with some good news. Will keep ya updated.

Agentx2

Agentx2

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
no problem dude glad to help out. :tazz:

Supremebeing

Supremebeing

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thx for all the help but it is to late. I was moving my computer around as I was running "recover my files" when I accidentally push the off switch. I spent a whole week waiting for the software to recover the files so I aint dealing with the recovery anymore. Thanks for the help, wish it turned out for the best. Thanks again.