Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with DirectX 9.0c

• Please log in to reply

pajarito79

pajarito79

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello. I'm having trouble with DX9.0c. I have repeatedly installed it from a number of sources. I've downloaded it from Microsoft and a mirror site. I've installed it directly from game discs that include it. Every time I install it goes through the procedure but never finishes. It just gets about halfway through the install and closes. It was installed and I wasn't having any trouble with it earlier today. I updated my video driver (Geforce FX 5200) and that's when I lost DX somehow, I think. That's when all my games started refusing to play, and Pirates specifically is telling me "Unable to initialize DirectX" when I try to run it. Other games are simply freezing on a blank screen.

I know this doesn't tell you much. I'm really bad with computers so if someone can help just let me know exactly what to do to give you the necessary info about my machine. Thanks in advance. =)

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi pajarito79!

Download DirectX Happy Uninstall, and run it and it will uninstall directX for you. Make sure all windows/programs are closed before running it. After it is done, you will probably have to reboot your computer. After your computer is rebooted, try and install directX 9.0c again.

Fenor

pajarito79

pajarito79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Bah, I'm afraid that can't help me. I don't have my previous DX backup files for some reason. I'd buy the full version of DXHU, except I'm still waiting on my debit card. =p So the other options of DXHU are unfortunately unavailable to me. =(

This did inspire me to attempt to uninstall DX from the DX installer, then reinstall. That still didn't work though.

Anything else I can try?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Try doing a system restore to yesterday or at least back to before you updated the video card driver for your Nvidia card earlier today

Fenor

pajarito79

pajarito79

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, that's got it back to at least a functional state. Thanks. =)

But I still can't get my graphic card's updated driver to work. Everything is still freezing on me. Pirates has stopped telling me "Unable to initialize DirectX" but is freezing up.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->RUN and type in dxdiag and tell me what version of directx you have installed.

Fenor