Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Millenial Trouble

• Please log in to reply

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Do you have a 98 cd or a friend who has one

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Try this
1. When the startup menu is displayed, select Windows 98.
2. Press and hold down SHIFT, and then press ENTER.
3. Keep holding down SHIFT until Windows 98 is loaded.
4. The words "Safe mode" should appear in all four corners of the screen to indicate that you are now operating in Windows 98 Safe mode.

GregorDonkey

GregorDonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here's an update. I found a way to do the safe mode boot menu thing using only notepad, but apparently the 98 parts of my computer don't support it as it loaded to normal 98. Perhaps the safe aspects aren't in the same directory. I don't know. Safe mode's black and white, right? I mean, I couldn't be in safe mode right now I don't think. I certainly don't feel safe.
I have a 98 cd that is of the Starts Here variety. Would that help in some way? I may be able to scare up a copy somewhere else, as well...
I think I'm back to square one in my quest for safe mode.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Or This1. Restart your computer.
2. While your computer restarts, press and hold the CTRL key until the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed.

NOTE: If you are using the EZDrive tool, press F8 instead of CTRL.
3. Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.

Method 2
1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.
2. On the Tools menu, click System Configuration Utility.
3. Click Advanced, and then click to select the Enable Startup Menu check box.
4. Click OK, click OK, and then restart your computer when you are prompted to do so.
5. Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.

Method 3
1. Insert a non-bootable floppy disk in the floppy disk drive, and then restart your computer.
2. When you receive the "Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready" error message, remove the floppy disk from the floppy disk drive.
3. Press F8, and then press F8. When you do this, the Windows 98 Startup menu is displayed.
4. Select the Safe Mode menu option from the Startup menu, and then press ENTER.

Method 4
1. Restart your computer in MS-DOS Mode.
2. From a command prompt type "win /d:m" without the quotation marks.

GregorDonkey

GregorDonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Wow! Thanks for all the options. I just got back from trying the first shift method, and it worked beautifully! Problem solved! Thank you very much. So, I have printed out step by step instructions on how to take care of psguard, none of it seems dangerous... Do you really think I should wait?

GregorDonkey

GregorDonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Maybe I should wait. It seems like most of the instructions are case specific in terms of registry entries and whatnot, but I figure as long as I don't delete any of the entries not listed, it shouldn't be a problem- I may not fix the thing, but could it hurt?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I Thought the shift method would work (an oldie but a goodie) way back in the memory banks
mine not the computers
Incorrect removal can cause hassles as they can then be looking for things that arn't there
but some links point to them (make sense ?)
How long have you been waiting for Malware people ?

GregorDonkey

GregorDonkey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yeah, that makes sense. When you're hunting turkey, you don't want to be following chicken tracks, yeah?
I've been waiting for the malware cats for about a week, or maybe 5 or 6 days. I haven't fretted too much as I knew I'd have to get into safemode first regardless, and besides, beggars can't be choosers regardless the holiday.