Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Removed Virtumondo Adware with MicroSoft AntiSpyware Beta1

• Please log in to reply

stevestr

stevestr

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:tazz: I believe this was a part of the Wildtangent program I downloaded for online games. I scanned with Spyware Cleaner (Secure LLC, Spyware Doctor (PC tools), SpyBot SD, and Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1. All found the Virtumondo Adware except for Spyware Doctor. None could remove without doing some tweaks. Here is what I did to remove:
1. Scanned Quarantined with Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1 (do not remove yet or restart computer)
2. Go to Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta 1 Advanced Tools, then click on IE BHO's
3. Try to permanently Delete the "Red X BHO" dll file. Mine was jkhfe.dll located in c:\windows\system32 And, also any others that are "Red X BHO's". If you cannot Permanently delete, then disable.
4. Navigate back to the Advanced Tools in MS AntiSpyware Beta1, then click on System Explorers. Navigate to Shell Execute Hooks and block any shell hooks that have a red X. Mine was jkhfe.dll.
5. Run Spybot SD (make sure it is current and immunized, and run in advanced mode. Choose fix problems. Make sure to fix the Wild Tanget and completely remove from your system. Spybot SD may ask you to run when restarting to completely remove, Select Yes. Note: Also remove anything in Spybot Red Alert letters that it finds, which could be harmful to your system. Be careful to set a system restore first before removing anything in SpyBot SD advanced mode.
6. Restart System
7. Repeat steps 2, 3, and 4 with MS Spyware Beta1, then finally repeat Step 1 with a full deep scan using MS AntiSpyware Beta1. The scan should be 100% clean and the Adware gone.
I hope this works for you! This is a really tough Adware to remove...took me about 3 hours to work on it but now it is gone.

Advertisements