Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Internet ceases to work after few mins

• Please log in to reply

bonzo

bonzo

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
When I boot up my computer messenger automatically starts and works. IE and firefox both work and I can browse for a few minutes after this all my progammes which use the internet cease to work. :tazz:

Im on a network and my network card is working, ive checked in the control panel and packets are being received and sent.

At first I thought it maybe my virus/spyware scanners and firewall blocking the connection but I turned all of these off and the internet still would not work. I reformatted my computer 2 days ago and for the first day everything was working well, the internet continued to work, this problem only became apparent yesturday evening. I was having problems with Zone Alarms yesturday so I changed to AVG, later on in the day when the internet problem began i reverted back to Zone Alarms to try and solve the internet problem but to no avail.
I would really appreciate any help because im competely stumped, thanks for your time:)

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
It does sound like a firewall issue. Have you tried completely uninstalling Zone Alarm?

bonzo

bonzo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for your reply.

Earlier today I completly uninstalled Zone Alarm and all my spy/adware to no avail. I uninstalled my network driver and reinstalled it.
What I find bizarre is the fact I can go online for a minute and then the internet stops so this does point to a program cutting in and stopping the internet. I installed SP2 yesturday, could this have caused the problem?
I tried accessing microsoft firewall but it gave me an error:)

houston_guy

houston_guy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having somewhat of a similar problem. The difference is that I haven't tried half as many things to solve it, and there is no consistent patter in my loss of internet. I could stop after one minute or after a couple of hours. The only way to get it back is to restart and hope it's one of those times it where it lasts a couple of hours. It's very frustrating and I have no idea what to do. Someone posted a message with a problem similar to this but he was on windows XP so I'm not sure the solution for him is the same as for my Win 2000. Here is the address to that posting:

http://www.geekstogo...utes-t8076.html

Anyone have any suggestions?