Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP startup screen?!

• Please log in to reply

billybobishere

billybobishere

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hi guys, not sure if this is the right place to post this...i know its kind of a silly question, but was hoping maybe someone knows about this. i cannot get my blue welcome screen to not appear

i unchecked the startup window under 'user accounts' in XP, took off the password under my account type, deleted other accounts but i still get the freakn screen!

ever since i turned the pw on for the account a while back, it always comes up. even now that i diasbled it, it still comes up....it dont come up where i can select an account cause this is the only one. it just uit just comes up as if its asking me for my password and in order to get it going i have to hit options > and then o.k

and its getting under my skin :tazz:

Edited by billybobishere, 23 October 2005 - 09:46 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you installed .net framework then it does this until you install the service pack, and then you should also get the hotfix

You can install these from here

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

billybobishere

billybobishere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
can you link me to these specific things i need? (i cant find them) the darn windows update site gives me the run around, ever since getting firefox and messing with my active x, it dont work right. says its updating something i need, a license, updates....says autmomatic updates turned on, then goes and keeps repeasting itself. i dont get it. my windows is legit, so it isnt anything to do with not being a real copy

thats a whole other thread, im thinking its my active x settings that arent configured right

Edited by billybobishere, 23 October 2005 - 10:25 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For .net framework

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

For service pack

For service pack update

Microsoft Update will work with Internet Explorer so you couild set it as the default browser for this then change it again

You should sort the active x by clicking tools on a web page then internet options, then clicking defaults on, security then privacy then advanced tabs

billybobishere

billybobishere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
hey thanks for the replies Keith, was able to see them now...installed them via IE, and restarted - but its the same thing :tazz:

i also did did the internet options defaults, and no luch there either. i know for sure because i cant get my winshampoo working like it used to. see what i get here, i remember going over a couple microsoft articles on it with no avail

http://img474.images...age=uiii6db.png

Edited by billybobishere, 23 October 2005 - 11:07 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
1. On the Tools menu in Internet Explorer, click Internet Options.

2. On the Security tab, click Internet, and then click Custom Level.

3. Under Download Signed ActiveX Controls, click Enable or Prompt.

4. Click OK, and then click Yes.

5. Click OK.

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different errors. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures listed below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Run.

In the Open field, type sfc /scannow (Note: There is a space between sfc and /scannow)

Select the OK button.

Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.

Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.

Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.

Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.

In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf

In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.

Click the Search button.

In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.

Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.

Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=318378

billybobishere

billybobishere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
wow, okay i will look into this. thanks

as far as the startup screen always popping up - any other ideas on turning it off. i was hoping those add-ons would have done it.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To turn the Welcome screen on or off

You must have a computer administrator account on a computer that is a member of a workgroup or is a stand-alone computer to turn on or turn off the Use the Welcome screen feature. Logging on at the Welcome screen is not available on computers that are members of a network domain.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.

Click Change the way users log on or off.

Do one of the following:

To specify that users log on to the computer using the Welcome screen, select the Use the Welcome screen check box.

A user logs on to the computer by clicking his or her user account name on the Welcome screen. If a password is assigned to the account, the user is prompted to type it.

To specify that users log on to the computer without using the Welcome screen, clear the Use the Welcome screen check box.

The Welcome screen will no longer appear when you start the computer. To log on to the computer, type your user name (and password, if you have one) in the standard Log On to Windows dialog box.
Notes

To open User Accounts, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.

Fast User Switching is available only when the Welcome screen is turned on.

That's the standard response, though I expect there is a registry edit for this

billybobishere

billybobishere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yeah, ive done all that before, went through it again...and its the same thing.

i still get the login screen, like i said in my first post i have to type in my user name, then hit o.k.

and i disabled the 'use welcome screen' & made it where it dont ask for a password; and its my only account (admin), with guests turnded off

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is a list of steps you can run through which may replace any missing file which is stopping this

You can check for an improvement after running sfc /scannow then after each step until you have run through them all, if necessary

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm delete then reboot

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and get a blue progress bar, after the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

This will take an hour, it will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should

If no change

Please go here to repair your operating system

Repair XP

If you are unable to run Repair XP

Alternate XP Repair Guide

Use the last one - Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running the repair it will be necessary to install all Windows Updates